Application Guidelines for the 2016 Master’s Programs
Date: 2015-11-04 Views:34
Xiamen University, founded in 1921 by the renowned patriotic leader of overseas Chinese, Mr. Tan Kah-Kee, is a comprehensive university under the administration of China’s Ministry of Education. The University is one of China’s most prestigious higher-learning institutions, enjoying privileged support from both the nation’s “211 Project” and the “985 Project”. XMU ranks among the top 20 of the over 2,000 colleges and universities in China and is internationally recognized as a first-class comprehensive university with distinctive educational features, a full spectrum of disciplines, and a highly qualified faculty. The campuses are nestled snugly between the green hills and the blue sea, earning the University a reputation as one of the most beautiful universities in China.
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens generally under the age of 45 at the time of applying, be in good health, and possess a valid passport.
Note: For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they make registration and apply for Residence Permit in China. Please refer to the Instructions on Citizenship Certification for more information.
(2) Applicants should hold a bachelor's degree.
2. Application time: February 1- June 1, 2016
3. Application procedures
(1) Online application
Applicants should first apply online at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application
Note: Online application is mandatory. Paper-based applications with no online signing-up will not be considered.
(2) Submission of application documents
Applicants should mail the application form generated automatically upon successful online application and other required application documents to XMU’s Admissions Office and they should reach the Office by June 1, 2016. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86-0592-2184792)
Note: Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their email and online application account regularly as XMU Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
4. Application documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents:
(1) Application Form for International Students, which should be completed in Chinese or English and then printed out after successful online application.
(2) Bachelor’s degree certificate (notarized copy in English or Chinese).
Applicants who are currently studying at university should provide a study certificate. Certificate in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
Note: Applicants who have provided a study certificate should submit a notarized copy of their bachelor’s degree to the XMU Admissions Office before the specified registration date (mid-September 2016); failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
(3) Academic transcripts relating to bachelor's degree’s studies. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
(4) Study or research plan (minimum 1,000 words) in Chinese or English.
(5) Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English by professors or associate professors.
(6) A photocopy of Chinese (HSK) or English Proficiency Certificate or medium-of-instruction certificate.
(7) A photocopy of your valid passport.
(8) A photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (click to download), completed in Chinese or English. (The original is to be retained by the applicant.)
(9) A Statement of Financial Support (click to download) certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation and living expenses. It should be accompanied by an employment certificate or income certificate and a photocopy of the valid passport of the financial sponsor.
(10) If applicants have published papers, the abstracts should be enclosed during submission of their application documents.
Note: Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials. Incomplete application materials will be rejected. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
5. Academic programs
(1) Chinese-medium master's programs
Most master's programs at XMU are taught in Chinese. For detailed information on master's programs, please visit
★Chinese proficiency requirements
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine need to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above; applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of new HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Students who have taken courses mainly in Chinese during their bachelor’s degree studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, provided that they can produce proof of language of instruction used in their bachelor’s degree studies.
Note: For those whose Chinese proficiency level have not met the above requirements and wish to take remedial Chinese courses before major studies, they are expected to have obtained the new HSK certificate of band 4 for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine, or band 3 for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine.
(2) English-medium master's programs
As an internationalization initiative, XMU has launched 17 English-medium master’s programs for international students. These two-year programs are taught in English and aim to bring forth high-level international specialists with a solid professional foundation plus a good understanding of Chinese society and culture.
School of Humanities
Master of Philosophy
School of Law
Civil and Commercial Law
Master of Law
Fiscal and Tax Law
School of International Relations
Master of Law
School of Economics
Master of Economics
Coastal and Ocean Management Institute
Master of Science
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Master of Engineering
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Master of Science
School of Information Science and Technology
Master of Engineering
Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics
Master of Economics
Institute for Financial and Accounting Studies
Master of Management
1. If the number of admitted students is less than five, the University will advise applicants to change their program choice.
2. For detailed information on program coordinators at their respective colleges or schools, please visit http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
★English proficiency requirements
Applicants should present a TOEFL certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS certificate with a score of 6.0 or above, or other certificate of English proficiency from an accredited test. Native English speakers and applicants who have taken courses in English during their bachelor’s degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate should be furnished.
Xiamen University considers applications in accordance with international practices. International students should submit their application documents for verification of qualifications. Application documents will be forwarded to the relevant college or school for academic review. Admission decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants' academic performance, language proficiency, overall merits, research achievements and their prospective advisor’s comments. Applicants will be given preference if they have graduated from world-renowned universities or XMU’s sister institutions or are recommended by senior professors or experts. Applicants who are required to attend interviews or take tests will be informed in advance. A list of enrolled students will be submitted to the university authorities for final approval.
The University will publish the admission outcome on the application system of the Admissions Office about 2 months after receiving a complete set of hard-copy documents. Admitted students’ Admission Notice and Visa Application Form will be sent out in batches starting in June 2016. Applicants can log into the online application system to view the result of their application and detailed information regarding the delivery of the admission package.
7. Length of program, duration of study and conferral of degree
Length of master's programs: 2-3 years; Length of English-medium master's programs/MTCSOL/MBA: 2 years; Duration of study: 2-5 years.
Conferral of degree: Students will be conferred a master's degree and awarded a graduation certificate after they have fulfilled the credit point requirement, completed their graduation thesis, and satisfied their degree requirements with the stipulated period of time.
8. Application fee: RMB 400 (payable upon signing-up online; non-refundable)
9. Tuition per academic year in RMB (cost of course materials not included)
▲Chinese-medium master's programs
Humanities: RMB 26,000 per year, RMB 78,000 in total;
Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
MBA: RMB 64,000 per year, RMB 128,000 in total.
MTCSOL: RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 60,000 in total.
▲English-medium master's programs
RMB 45,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
Chinese Philosophy: RMB 39,000 per year, RMB 78,000 in total.
Note: Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
10. Living expenses
(1) Accommodation fee (utility charges not included)
Siming Campus: The overseas student apartment buildings on the Siming Campus are set in picturesque surroundings and enjoy a view of the sea and fresh air.
The dorms are equipped with a range of amenities.Newly enrolled students on Siming campus should apply online for on-campus accommodation.
Detailed information about on-campus accommodation application will be available in the Enrolment Instruction for New Students 2016.
Contact information of Siming Campus dormitory buildings:Nanguang #4 and Nanguang #5 (Tel: 0086-592-2184905) Cai Qingjie Building (Tel: 0086-592-2180501)
Off- Siming-campus accommodation: Due to the limited number of dormitories on the Siming campus, self-funded students and recipients of Xiamen University Scholarships and Fujian Government Scholarships should make arrangements for off-campus accommodation before registration. Living off-campus provides greater opportunities to interact with the locals and to learn about the local community and culture. Students can choose to rent off-campus apartments and the monthly rental is around RMB 2000 per room. When living off-campus, international students will enjoy a quiet learning environment.
Xiang’an Campus: Students of the School of Life Sciences, Medical School, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, College of Ocean and Earth Sciences, College of Environment and Ecology, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute, College of Energy and Overseas Education College are accommodated on Xiang’an campus. The student apartments are equipped with a comprehensive range of amenities, with all rooms containing a private bathroom, a telephone, an air conditioner, Internet access points, a water heater, a safe, etc. Apartments for International Students are double rooms with the accommodation fee of RMB 2,000 per person per year.
(2) Living expenses: Around RMB 750 per month.
(3) Student insurance: RMB 600 per year.
★Chinese Government Scholarships:
The Chinese government provides full or partial scholarships to international students. Full scholarships cover tuition, accommodation, food, healthcare and insurance costs. Partial scholarships cover one or several items covered by full scholarships.
1. University Postgraduate Program (full scholarship): International applicants for programs toward a master’s degree or a PhD can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office.
Application time: February 1 to March 31 each year.
2. Sino-US Cultural Exchange Scholarship (full scholarship): American students who wish to pursue their postgraduate degree education can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office between February 1 and March 31 each year.
3. Chinese Government Marine Scholarship (full scholarship): The scholarship is to support outstanding students from coastal/island countries in China’s South Sea, the Pacific and Indian Oceans or developing African countries to study in China for a mater's or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related fields. Applicants who are engaged in fields related to oceanography will be given preference. Applications can be submitted directly to XMU’s Admissions Office.Application time: February 1 to April 30 each year.
4. Chinese Government Scholarships for Specific Countries (full or partial scholarships): Candidates of all categories can apply for this scholarship. They can apply through the educational office of Chinese embassy or consulate in their country between January and April each year. Applicants may refer to the above authorities for application deadlines.
5. MOFCOM Scholarship (full scholarships): The scholarship mainly sponsors talents from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China. Applicants can apply through the Economic and Commercial Counsellor's office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy in their country between January and April each year.
Xiamen University Institutional Code: 10384
For more information, please visit the website of XMU Admissions Office and the CSC website at http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipen.aspx
★Confucius Institute Scholarship - Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) (full scholarship)
This scholarship is administered by China’s Confucius Institute Headquarters with a view to encouraging students and Chinese language teachers from all over the world to study or do research in Chinese language and culture. The scholarship is offered to applicants for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL). Holders of this scholarship are exempt from tuition and are given subsidies for accommodation, food, medical and insurance costs. Applications should contact with the Confucius Institute in their home countries, make online application at http://cis.chinese.cn/ and choose Xiamen University as the host university.
Application time: Scholarship recruitment is open all year round on a trial basis in 2016.
★Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships for International Students (partial scholarship)
To promote international exchange and cooperation between Fujian Province and the rest of the world, Fujian Provincial Government has set up this scholarship in 2012 to finance international students’ studies in Fujian in an undergraduate, master’s or doctoral program. The scholarship will cover tuition, accommodation and cost of course materials only for one academic year. Applicants can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office.
Application time: February 1 to May 20 each year.
★Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students (partial scholarship)
XMU offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degree candidates. Scholarship recipients will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 years for doctoral programs, 2-3 years for master's programs, 4-5 years for undergraduate programs). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships. Applicants can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office.
Application time: February 1 to April 30 each year.
1. Detailed information on scholarships is available at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
2. The scholarship recipients' academic performance will be assessed each year and only those meeting the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
12. Contact information
★XMU Admissions Office (the enrollment of international students on degree programs)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
Address: Admissions Office, Xiamen University, Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province 361005, P. R. China
★HSK Test – Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2187478 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
For more information on the HSK test, please visit http://www.hanban.edu.cn/tests/