Application Guidelines for the 2017 Doctoral Programs
Date: 2016-12-16 Views:52
Xiamen University, founded in 1921 by the renowned patriotic leader of overseas Chinese, Mr. Tan Kah-Kee, is a comprehensive university under the administration of China’s Ministry of Education. XMU ranks among the top 20 of the over 2,000 colleges and universities in China and is internationally recognized as a first-class comprehensive university with distinctive educational features, a full spectrum of disciplines, and a highly qualified faculty. The campuses are nestled snugly between the green hills and the blue sea, earning the University a reputation as one of the most beautiful universities in the world.
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens under the age of 50 at the time of applying, be in good health, and possess a valid passport.
Note: For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they make registration and apply for a Residence Permit in China. Please refer to the Instructions on Citizenship Certification for more information. http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/uploadfile/file/20150312/20150312031032_30245.pdf
(2) Applicants should hold a master's degree.
2. Application time: February 1 - June 1, 2017
3. Application procedures
(1) Online application
Applicants should first make online application at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application
Note: Online application is mandatory. Paper-based applications with no online signing-up will not be considered.
(2) Submission of application documents
Applicants should mail the application form generated automatically upon successful online application and other required application documents to XMU’s Admissions Office and hard copies should reach the Office by July 1, 2017.When mailing application documents from mainland China, EMS mailing service is highly recommended as to ensure timely and efficient delivery of your package. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86-0592-2184792)
Note: Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their email and online application system account regularly as XMU’s Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
★ Application procedures
4. Application documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents:
(1) Application Form for International Students, which should be completed in Chinese or English and then printed out after successful online application.
(2) Master's and Bachelor’s degree certificate (notarized copy in English or Chinese). Applicants who are currently studying at university should provide a master’s study certificate and a Bachelor’s degree certificate. Certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translations in Chinese or English.
Note: Applicants who have provided a study certificate should submit a notarized copy of their master’s degree to the XMU's Admissions Office before the specified registration date (Mid-September 2017); failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
(3) Academic transcripts relating to master's and Bachelor’s study. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
(4) Study or research plan (minimum 1,000 words) in Chinese or English.
Note: When applicants intend to apply for more than one program, study plans tailored to each program should be submitted all at once.
(5)Two Letters of Recommendation signed by professors or associate professors, completed in Chinese or English.
(6) A photocopy of Chinese (HSK) or English Proficiency Certificate or medium-of-instruction certificate.
(7) A photocopy of your valid passport.
Note: Among foreign citizens of Chinese origin, those who were residents of mainland China before their emigration should submit a scan copy of their Residence Cancellation Certificate and Certificate of Naturalization; those who were residents of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan should submit a photocopy of their old identification certificate.
(8) A photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (click to download), completed in Chinese or English. (The original is to be retained by the applicant.)
(9) A Statement of Financial Support (click to download), certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation and living expenses. It should be accompanied by an employment certificate or income certificate and a photocopy of the valid passport of the financial sponsor.
(10) If applicants have published papers, the abstracts should be submitted in online application and enclosed during submission of their hard-copy documents.
Note: Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of hard-copy application materials. Incomplete application materials will be rejected. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
5. Academic programs
(1) Chinese-medium doctoral programs
Most doctoral programmes at XMU are taught in Chinese. Detailed information about the academic programmes is available at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
Chinese proficiency requirements
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine need to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above; applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of new HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Students who have taken courses mainly in Chinese during their master’s degree studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, provided that they can produce proof of language of instruction used in their master’s degree studies.
Note: For those whose Chinese proficiency level have not met the above requirements and wish to take remedial Chinese courses before their major studies, they are expected to have obtained the new HSK certificate of band 4 for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine, or band 3 for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine.
(2) English-medium doctoral programs
XMU has a team of highly qualified professors, many of whom have obtained doctorates from overseas universities. They are able to instruct international students in English. Currently XMU offers 50 doctoral programs in English.
Colleges (Click to visit its website)
Chinese History, Anthropology, Foreign Philosophy
Western Economics, Finance, Quantitative Economics
Management Science and Engineering ( Note: If the number of admitted students in this program is less than five, the University will advise applicants to change their program choice.)
Law of the Sea
Intellectual Property Law
English Language and Literature
Electromechanical Engineering, Condensed Matter Physics
Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Inorganic Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry and Physics, Chemical Biology, Energy Chemistry,Chemical Engineering
Computer Science and Technology, Communication and Information System, Electronic Science and Technology, Signal and Information Processing
Zoology, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Hydrobiology, Cell Biology, Genetics
Environmental Science, Environmental Management, Environmental Engineering, Ecology
World Economy, World History
1. If the number of students admitted to the PhD program offered by the School of Management is less than five, the University will advise applicants to change their program choice.
2. For detailed information on supervisors and program coordinators at their respective colleges or schools, please refer to the section of Programme in English at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn.
English proficiency requirements:
Applicants should present a TOEFL certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS certificate with a score of 6.0 or above, or other certificate of English proficiency from an accredited test. Native English speakers and applicants who took courses in English during their master’s degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate should be furnished.
Xiamen University considers applications in accordance with international practices. International students should submit their application documents for verification of qualification. Application documents will be forwarded to the relevant college or school for academic review. Admission decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants’ academic performance, language proficiency, overall merits, research output and their prospective advisor’s comments. Applicants will be given preference if they have graduated from world-renowned universities or XMU’s sister institutions or are recommended by senior professors or experts. Applicants who are required to attend interviews or take tests will be informed in advance. A list of enrolled students will be submitted to the university authorities for final approval.
The University will publish the admission outcome in the application system of the Admissions Office in June 2017. Admitted students’ Admission Notice and Visa Application Form will be sent out in batches starting in June 2017. Applicants can log into the online application system (http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application ) to view the result of their application and detailed information regarding the delivery of the admission package.
7. Length of programme, duration of study and conferral of degree
Length of doctoral programmes: 4 years;
Duration of study: 4-7 years; Doctoral candidates can apply for early graduation when they meet the requirements.
Conferral of degree: Students will be conferred a Ph.D. degree and awarded graduation certificate after they have fulfilled the credit point requirement, completed their graduation thesis and successfully defended their thesis within the prescribed time frame.
8. Application fee: RMB 400 (payable upon signing up online; non-refundable)
9. Tuition per academic year in RMB (excluding cost of course materials)
▲ Chinese-medium doctoral programs
Humanities: RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 34,000 per year, RMB 102,000 in total.
▲ English-medium doctoral programs
Humanities: RMB 42,000 per year, RMB 126,000 in total;
Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 55,000 per year, RMB 165,000 in total.
1. Despite the fact that the length of doctoral programs has been extended to four years, doctoral students only pay tuition for a total of three years, not four years.
2. Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
10. Living expenses
(1) Accommodation fee (utility charges not included)
Siming Campus:The overseas student apartment buildings on the Siming Campus are set in picturesque surroundings and enjoy a view of the sea and fresh air. Newly enrolled students on Siming campus should apply online for on-campus accommodation. Detailed information about on-campus accommodation application will be available in the Enrolment Instruction for New Students 2017.
Off- Siming-campus accommodation:Students who fail to secure on-campus accommodation are expected to make arrangements for their off-campus accommodation on their own before their arrival.Living off-campus provides greater opportunities to interact with the locals and to learn about the local community and culture. Students can choose to rent off-campus apartments and the monthly rental is around RMB 2,000 per room. When living off-campus, international students will enjoy a quiet learning environment.
Xiang’an Campus: Students of the School of Life Sciences, Medical School, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, College of Ocean and Earth Sciences, College of Environment and Ecology, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute, College of Energy, School of Aerospace Engineering and Overseas Education College are accommodated on Xiang’an campus. The student apartments are equipped with a comprehensive range of amenities, with all rooms containing a private bathroom, a telephone, an air conditioner, Internet access points, a water heater, a safe, etc. Apartments for International Students are double rooms with the accommodation fee of RMB 2,400-4,000 per person per year.
(2) Living expenses: Around RMB 750 per month.
(3) Student insurance: RMB 600 per year.
★ Chinese Government Scholarships:
The Chinese government provides full or partial scholarships to international students. Full scholarships cover tuition, accommodation, food, healthcare and insurance costs. Partial scholarships cover one or several items covered by full scholarships.
1. University Postgraduate Program (full scholarship): International applicants for programs toward a master’s degree or a PhD can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office. Application time: February 1 to March 31 each year.
2. Sino-US Cultural Exchange Scholarship (full scholarship): American students who wish to pursue their postgraduate degree education can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office between February 1 and April 15 each year.
3.Chinese Government Marine Scholarship (full scholarship): The scholarship is to support outstanding students from coastal/island countries in China’s South Sea, the Pacific and Indian Oceans or developing African countries to study in China for a mater's or doctoral degree in oceanography or other related fields. Applicants who are engaged in fields related to oceanography will be given preference. Applications can be submitted directly to XMU’s Admissions Office. Application time: February1 to April 15 each year.
4.Chinese Government Scholarships -Bilateral Program (full or partial scholarships): Candidates of all categories can apply for this scholarship. They can apply through the educational office of Chinese embassy or consulate in their country between January and April each year. Applicants may refer to the above authorities for application deadlines.
5. MOFCOM Scholarship (full scholarships): The scholarship mainly sponsors talents from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China. Applicants can apply through the Economic and Commercial Counselor’s office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy in their country between January and April each year.
Xiamen University Institutional Code: 10384
For more information, please visit the website of XMU Admissions Office and the CSC website at http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipen.aspx
★ Confucius China Studies Plan- Ph.D. Fellowships (full scholarship)
The fellowships consist of two subprograms, namely, the “Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship” and “Ph.D. in China Fellowship”. They are currently the most valuable fellowship programs that are available to international students in China. Financial support is mainly is provided through the support of specific research and other projects in the designated academic areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. Applicants need to submit their applications directly at http://ccsp.chinese.cn/ and choose Xiamen University as the host university.Application time: through Feb. each year.More information is available at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
★Professional Development Program for Chinese Language Teachers in South Asian Countries- Doctoral Degree in Chinese Literature, History and Philosophy and other related majors (full scholarship)
For the purposes of deepening cultural exchanges between China and South Asian countries and promoting the localization of Chinese language teaching in South Asia, Confucius Institute Headquarters launches the scholarship Program. Applicants shall be from South Asia, mainly including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Maldives and Afghanistan. Scholarship covers the lodging and living stipend, research fund, round-trip international airfare, tuition, medical insurances, group activities and cultural experience. Applicants should make online application athttp://cis.chinese.cn/ and choose Xiamen University as the host university.
★ Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships for International Students(partial scholarship)
To promote international exchange and cooperation between Fujian Province and the rest of the world, Fujian Provincial Government has set up this scholarship in 2012 to finance international students’ studies in Fujian in an undergraduate, master’s or doctoral program. The scholarship will cover tuition, on-campus accommodation and cost of course materials only for one academic year. Applicants can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office. Application time: February 1 to May 15 each year.
★Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students (partial scholarship)
XMU offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates. Scholarship awardees will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 years for doctoral programmes, 2 or 3 years for master's programmes, 4 or 5 years for undergraduate programmes). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships. Application time: February to April 30 each year.
1. Detailed information on scholarships is available at: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
2. The awardees' academic performance will be assessed each year and only those meeting the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
12. Contact information
★ XMU Admissions Office (the enrollment of international students on degree programs)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
Website: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, P. R. China 361005
★ HSK Test –Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2187478 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
For more information on the HSK test, please visit http://www.hanban.edu.cn/tests/