Frequently Asked Questions
1. Q: Do international students need to take a unified entrance examination?
A: Currently not. Xiamen University considers applications in accordance with international practices. Applicants who are required to attend interviews or take tests will be informed in advance.
2. Q: Which English-medium programs are available in XMU?
A: Bachelor’s program (4): Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), duration of MBBS program: six years; Bachelor of Economics, Finance and International Business, duration of these three programs: four years.
Master’s programs (16): International Relations, International Trade, Marine Affairs, etc. Duration of master’s programs in English: two years
Doctoral programs (over 40): International Law, Computer Science and Technology, World Economy, etc. Duration of doctoral programs in English: four years.
For more information, please visit http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16884/list.htm.
3. Campus sites and accommodation arrangements
Students of the following colleges – the School of Life Sciences, School of Medicine, School of Pharmaceutical Science, School of Public Health, College of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute, College of Environment and Ecology, College of Energy, School of Aerospace Engineering and Overseas Education College – are accommodated on the Xiang’an Campus. Students of other colleges and schools are accommodated on the Siming Campus.
On-Siming Campus accommodation: Newly enrolled students on Siming campus should apply online for on-campus accommodation. Detailed information about on-campus accommodation application is available in the Enrollment Instruction for New Students.
Off-Siming Campus accommodation: Students can choose to rent off-campus apartments and the monthly rental is around RMB 2,000 per room.
On-Xiang’an Campus accommodation: All student apartments are fully equipped. Detailed information about on-Xiang’an-campus accommodation is available in the Enrollment Instruction for New Students.
4. Deadline for all applications:
Academic programs: February 1 - June 1 (For undergraduate program, the application deadline is July 1)
Exchange programs: Spring semester: Oct. 15; Fall semester: April 1. (Application guidelines can be found at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16881/list.htm)
About scholarships: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16870/list.htm
|Scholarship Prgramme||Categories||Application Time||Accepting Institution|
|Chinese Govt. Scholarship||Chinese University Program||Degree-study Scholarship (Master’s or doctoral candidates)||Feb.1 to March 31||XMU Admissions Office|
|Sino-American Cultural Exchange Scholarship||Degree-study Scholarship (Bachelor’s, Master’s or doctoral candidates)||Feb. 1 to April 15||XMU Admissions Office|
|Chinese Govt. Marine Scholarship||Degree-study Scholarship （ Master’s or doctoral candidates in oceanography-related programmes）||Feb. 1 to April 15||XMU Admissions Office|
|CSC Scholarship-Bilateral Program||① Degree-study Scholarship; (Bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral candidates) ② Scholarship for Advanced Study||Jan. to April||Dispatching Authorities or Chinese Diplomatic Missions|
|MOFCOM SCHOLARSHIP||Degree-study Scholarship (Master’s or doctoral candidates)||Jan. to April||Economic and Commercial Counselor’s Office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy|
|Confucius Institute Scholarships||Confucius Institute Scholarships||① Scholarship for Advanced Study of Chinese Language ②Scholarship for BTSCOL ③Scholarship for MTSCOL||March to June||Confucius Institute Headquarters|
|Confucius China Study Plan||Fellowships for PhD. Programme||Deadline: mid-Feb.||The Confucius Institute Headquarters|
|Professional Development Program for Chinese Language Teachers in South Asian Countries||①Scholarship for BTSCOL②Scholarship for MTSCOL③Scholarship for Advanced Study of Chinese Language||March to June||Confucius Institute Headquarters/Hanban|
|Fujian Provincial Govt. Scholarship||Fujian Provincial Govt. Scholarship for International Students||Degree-study Scholarship (Bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral candidates)||Feb. 1 to May 10||XMU Admissions Office|
|Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships||Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships||①Degree-study (Bachelor’s, Master‘s or Doctoral candidates) ②One-Academic-Year Chinese Language Learning||Feb. 1 to May 10||XMU Admissions Office|
|XMU Scholarships for International Students||XMU Scholarships for New International Students||Degree-study Scholarship (Bachelor‘s, master’s or doctoral candidates)||Feb. to April||XMU Admissions Office|
|Xiamen University Scholarships for Exceptional Students||Degree-study Scholarship (Current bachelor‘s, master’s or doctoral candidates)||Around early Feb. or March||XMU Overseas Students Affairs Office (OSAO)|
Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens, be in good health, and possess a valid passport.
(1) Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have emigrated to a foreign country and who are now applying to undergraduate studies in China as international students must have held a valid foreign passport for at least four years, and must have actually resided in a foreign country for at least two years in the past four years (as of April 30, 2018 for the 2018 entry). Nine months of residence in a foreign country may count as a full year. The dates of the entry and exit stamps in the passport will be taken in the determination of actual foreign residence.
(2) For applicants for undergraduate studies who were born in foreign countries and have held foreign citizenship since birth and have been receiving education in China, a photocopy of their Residence Permit in China or valid visa for high school studies is required when submitting the application documents.
(3) For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they make registration and apply for a Residence Permit in China. Please refer to the Instructions on Citizenship Certification for more information. http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/_upload/article/files/8a/0d/edb41c9445269843b5bcdc071da2/046a4705-6f93-43b1-aa74-75b2934d8ea5.pdf
6. Language Levels
For English-medium programs, the English proficiency requirements are: Applicants should present a TOEFL certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS certificate with a score of 6.0 or above, or other certificate of English proficiency from an accredited test. Native English speakers and applicants who have taken courses in English during their previous degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate should be furnished.
For Chinese-medium programs, the Chinese proficiency requirements are:
(1) Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine need to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate ofnew HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Students who have taken courses primarily in Chinese during their previous studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, provided that they can produce proof of language of instruction used in their previous studies.
(2) For those whose Chinese proficiency level has not yet met the above requirements and who wish to take remedial Chinese courses before commencing the studies of their majors, they are expected to have obtained the new HSK certificate of band 4 for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine, or band 3 for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine.
7. Application procedures
(1) Online application
Applicants should first apply online at http://application.xmu.edu.cn
Note: Online application is mandatory. Paper-based applications with no online signing-up will not be considered.
(2) Submission of application documents
Applicants should mail their completed application form which has been generated automatically upon successful online application and other required application documents to XMU’s Admissions Office. All documents should reach the Office by June 1. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86-0592-2184792)
Note: Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their email and online application account regularly as XMU's Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
8. Q: Do I have to pay the application fee online?
A: Yes, the application fee is payable upon signing up online. The online application system will automatically create an Application Form for International Students after the payment of fee is completed. Note: for exchange students, the application fee is waived.
9. Q: Do I have to pay a fee for my application for a scholarship?
A: Yes, all applicants are required to pay their application fees in the online application system.
Note: Applicants can log into the online application system to view detailed information regarding the result of their application.
10. Q: Do applicants for master’s program and doctoral programs need to contact their prospective supervisors in advance?
A: There is no mandatory requirement in this regard. Applicants who have an interested supervisor should note the supervisor’s name in the “interested supervisor” column on the application form. The email addresses of supervisors are available on the website of each school and college. For the contact information of supervisors for English-medium PhD program, please refer to the section of English-medium programs.
Note: A supervisor’s agreement to supervise your studies is not a guarantee of successful application.
11. Q: Do applicants who have not get diploma or the highest degree certificate when applying have chance to sign up?
A: Applicants who are currently studying at school should provide a pre-graduation certificate. Applicants who have provided the certificate should submit a notarized copy of their diploma to the XMU’s Admissions Office before the specified registration date (mid-September every year). Failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
12. Letter of Recommendation
A letter of recommendation in Chinese or English from the applicant’s high school is required if the applicant is applying for an undergraduate program.
Two letters of recommendation in Chinese or English signed by professors or associate professors are required if the applicant is applying for a master’s or doctoral program. In exceptional circumstances, the applicant may provide at least one letter of recommendation from a professor or associate professor. There is no standard format for letters of recommendation.
13. Foreigner Physical Examination Form
Please submit this form with other application documents. If there is any special reason for delay, be sure to submit it no later than June 1. If the applicant is studying in China, a photocopy of a valid International Travel Health Examination Certificate, issued by the China Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau, or a photocopy of the International Travel Health Care Center Health Check Form, is required. Otherwise, please proceed to the China Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Bureau to complete the physical examination.
Note: The results of the physical examination may be valid for six months only.
14. Intent to learn Chinese
Applicants who intend to study Chinese at their own expense or apply for the Undergraduate Program of Chinese Language should directly contact the Overseas Education College. Contact information: Email: email@example.com, Tel:+86-(0)592-2186211, http://oec.xmu.edu.cn.
15. Guidelines for Scholarships applications
(1)Scholarships for new international students: Chinese Government Scholarships, Confucius China Study Plan, Confucius Institute Scholarships, Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships, Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships, and XMU Scholarships for New International Students, etc.
The eligibility requirements, sponsor policy and deadline of each scholarship vary. For most scholarships (Chinese University Programs, Sino-American Cultural Exchange Scholarships, Chinese Government Marine Scholarship, Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships, Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships and XMU Scholarships for New International Students), the Specific Scholarship Application Form is required, in addition to the application documents specified in the Guidelines.
(2)Other scholarships: Applicants for the Chinese Government Scholarship-Bilateral Program, MOFCOM Scholarship, the Confucius Institute Scholarships and the Confucius China Study Plan need to submit their applications to the relevant accepting institution according to its guidelines.
16. Q: Can applicants apply for more than one scholarship at the same time?
A: Yes, eligible applicants can apply for more than one scholarship at the same time, but they can only pick one scholarship if all their applications are successful.
17. Q: Can international students studying in China apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship – Chinese University Program?
A: Yes, they can. Chinese University Program typically offers a fixed number of places to current international students in China, and each year, a maximum of five places are available. For applications, please check the guidelines for the current year.
18. Q: How to apply for the Chinese Government Scholarship?
A: There are several programs under the Chinese Government Scholarship. Generally, there are two ways to apply for the scholarship.
(1) Applicants can submit their applications to Xiamen University if they are applying for the Chinese University Program, Sino-American Cultural Exchange Scholarship, and Chinese Government Marine Scholarship.
(2) Applicants can submit their applications to a Chinese embassy and consulate if they are applying for the CSC Scholarship-Bilateral Program or the MOFCOM Scholarship.
19. Useful Links
Instructions for Bilateral Scholarship Candidates to Obtain a Pre-admission Notice
Application Guidelines for international students: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/
Application Guidelines for scholarships: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16870/list.htm
Prospectus for international students: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16897/list.htm
For more contact information, please visit: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/wontactwws/list.htm