Location: Home - How to apply - Undergraduates
Application Guidelines for the 2017 Undergraduate Programs
Date: 2016-12-15 - Views:27046
Xiamen University, founded in 1921 by the renowned patriotic leader of overseas Chinese, Mr. Tan Kah-Kee, is a comprehensive university under the administration of China’s Ministry of Education. XMU ranks among the top 20 of the over 2,000 colleges and universities in China and is internationally recognized as a first-class comprehensive university with distinctive educational features, a full spectrum of disciplines, and a highly qualified faculty. The campuses are nestled snugly between the green hills and the blue sea, earning the University a reputation as one of the most beautiful universities in the world.
(1) Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens aged between 18 and 30, be in good health, and possess a valid passport.
1. Residents of mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have emigrated to a foreign country and who are now applying to study in China as international students must have held a valid foreign passport for at least four years, and must have actually resided in a foreign country for at least two years in the past four years (as of April 30, 2017). (Nine months of residence in a foreign country may count as a full year. The dates of the entry and exit stamps in the passport will be followed in the determination of actual foreign residence.)
2. For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they make registration and apply for Residence Permit in China.
Please refer to the Instructions on Citizenship Certification for more information. http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/uploadfile/file/20150312/20150312031032_30245.pdf
(2) Applicants should have a high school diploma with a satisfactory academic performance.
2. Application time: February 1 - July 1, 2017
3. Application procedures
(1) Online application
Applicants should first apply online at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application
1. Online application is mandatory. Paper-based applications with no online signing-up will not be considered.
2. Applicants interested in the program of the Chinese Language may directly contact XMU Overseas Education College and sign up online at http://oec.xmu.edu.cn. (Email: email@example.com Tel: +86-(0)592-2186211)
(2) Submission of application documents
Applicants should mail the application form generated automatically upon successful online application and other required application documents to XMU’s Admissions Office and hard copies should reach the Office by July 1, 2017.When mailing application documents from mainland China, EMS mailing service is highly recommended as to ensure timely and efficient delivery of your package. (Postal address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University, Fujian Province, China 361005; Tel: +86-0592-2184792)
Note: Late applications will not be considered. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their email and online application system account regularly as XMU’s Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
★ Application procedures:
4. Application documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents:
(1) Application Form for International Students, which should be completed in Chinese or English and then printed out after successful online application.
(2) High school diploma (a notarized copy in English or Chinese). Applicants who are currently studying at high school should provide a study certificate. Certificate in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
Note: Applicants who have provided a study certificate should submit a notarized copy of their high school diploma to the XMU’s Admissions Office before the specified registration date (Mid-September 2017); failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.
(3) Academic transcripts for high school study. Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by notarized translation in Chinese or English.
(4) A photocopy of Chinese (HSK) or English Proficiency Certificate or medium-of-instruction certificate.
(5) A self-introduction video clip.
① The video clip should be five to ten minutes long and include your self–introduction and a description of your hobby, extra-curricular activities, your view of China and Xiamen University, your study plan in China. The introduction should be delivered in Chinese. Applicants for MBBS program are expected to deliver it in English.
② How to submit: Compress and save the video clip in the rar. format, and then submit it in online application. Alternatively, save it in a disk (or USB Flash Disk) and post it with other required application documents to the Admissions Office of Xiamen University. Mark the applicant’s name and nationality on the disk.
(6) A letter of recommendation in Chinese or English from applicants’ high school.
(7) Personal statement (minimum 800 words) in Chinese, which should include a self-introduction, a description of your educational experience, your motivations for studying in China and your study plan. Applicants for MBBS program are expected to deliver it in English.
(8) A photocopy of your valid passport.
Note 1: Applicants to whom the note to the first item of the Eligibility section applies, should submit a photocopy of their valid passports which they have held for at least four years and a photocopy of the entry and exit stamps in their passports showing that they have resided in a foreign country for at least two years in the last four years. Residents of mainland China before their emigration should submit a scan copy of their Residence Cancellation Certificate and Certificate of Naturalization; residents of Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan should submit a photocopy of their old identification certificate.
Note 2: Applicants under the age of 18 should submit a Power of Attorney signed by both their parents and legal guardian, and a photocopy of the legal guardian’s ID card.
(9) A photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form (click to download) completed in Chinese or English. (The original is to be retained by the applicant).
(10) A Statement of Financial Support (click to download) certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation and living expenses. It should be accompanied by an employment certificate or income certificate and a photocopy of the valid passport of the financial sponsor.
(11) Other supporting documents including CV, merit certificates and internships certificates may be submitted as well. Applicants with such certificates will be given preference.
Note: Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials. Incomplete application materials will be rejected. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
5. Academic programs
Xiamen University implements diversified talent cultivation modes. Students will take general courses in the first and second years and decide on a specific field of study in the second and third years according to the Regulations on the Determination of a Specific Field of Study for Undergraduate Students at Xiamen University. Applicants can select up to three programs of choice; the second and third choices will be considered as well.
The intake of undergraduate programs for the A/Y 2017-2018 will be 210 in total, including 70 for the Chinese Language program offered by the XMU's Overseas Education College. Please refer to the column of “Undergraduate Programs” to learn more about the academic programs on offer for 2017 entry and their respective quotas.
(1) Chinese-medium Undergraduate Programs
Most undergraduate programs are taught in Chinese. For further details, please see http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/en/show/82.html
★ Chinese proficiency requirements
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine need to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with 210 scores or above; applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of new HSK band 4 with 210 scores or above. Students who have taken courses mainly in Chinese during their high school studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, provided that they can produce proof of language of instruction used in their high school studies.
(2) English-medium Undergraduate Program: Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
XMU is one of the Chinese universities authorized by China’s Ministry of Education to enroll international students in the MBBS program in English. The program aims to help international students to become qualified medical professionals through six years of training in the medical school and hospitals.
★ English proficiency requirements
Applicants should present a TOEFL certificate with 80 points or above, or an IELTS certificate with grade 6.0 or above, or another certificate of English proficiency from an accredited test. Native English speakers and applicants who have taken courses in English during their high school studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate should be furnished.
Xiamen University considers applications in accordance with international practices. Admission decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants' academic performance, language proficiency, overall merits, their high school’s comments and their program preference. Applicants who are required to attend interviews or take tests will be informed in advance.
The University will publish the admission outcome on the application system of the Admissions Office since June. Admitted students’ Admission Notice and Visa Application Form will be sent out in batches starting in June 2017. Applicants can log into the online application system (http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application) to view the result of their application and detailed information regarding the delivery of the admission package.
7. Length of program, duration of study and conferral of degree
Length of undergraduate programs: 4-5 years (MBBS program takes 6 years);
Duration of study: A maximum of 6 years for four-year undergraduate programs; a maximum of 7 years for five-year undergraduate programs.
Conferral of degree: Students will be conferred a bachelor's degree and awarded a graduation certificate after they have fulfilled the credit point requirement, completed their graduation thesis, and satisfied their degree requirements within the stipulated period of time.
8. Application fee: RMB 400 (payable upon signing up online; non-refundable)
9. Tuition per academic year in RMB (cost of course materials not included)
(1) Chinese-medium programs
• Humanities: RMB 24,000 per year;
• Science, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law, Arts and Physical Education: RMB 26,000 per year;
(2) English-medium programs:
Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS): RMB 38,000 per year.
Note: Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
10. Living expenses
(1) Accommodation fee (utility charges not included)
* Siming Campus:
The overseas student apartment buildings on the Siming Campus are set in picturesque surroundings and enjoy a view of the sea and fresh air. Newly enrolled students on Siming campus should apply online for on-campus accommodation. Detailed information about on-campus accommodation application will be available in the Enrolment Instruction for New Students 2017.
Contact information of Siming campus dormitory buildings: Nanguang #4 and Nanguang #5 (Tel: 0086-592-2184905) Cai Qingjie Building (Tel: 0086-592-2180501)
* Off- Siming campus accommodation:
Students who fail to secure on-campus accommodation are expected to make arrangements for their off-campus accommodation on their own before their arrival. Living off-campus provides greater opportunities to interact with the locals and to learn about the local community and culture. Students can choose to rent off-campus apartments and the monthly rental is around RMB 2,000 per room. When living off-campus, international students will enjoy a quiet learning environment.
* Xiang’an Campus:
Students of the School of Life Sciences, Medical School, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, College of Oceanography and Earth Sciences, College of Environment and Ecology, College of Energy, School of Aerospace Engineering and Overseas Education College are accommodated on Xiang’an campus. The student apartments are equipped with a comprehensive range of amenities, with all rooms containing a private bathroom, a telephone, an air conditioner, Internet access points, a water heater, a safe, etc. Apartments for International Students are double rooms with the accommodation fee of RMB 2,000 per person per year.
(2) Living expenses: Around RMB 750 per month.
(3) Student insurance: RMB 600 per year.
11. Scholarship programs
(1) Chinese Government Scholarships -Bilateral Program (full scholarship)
Applicants shall apply to Chinese diplomatic missions or their country’s dispatching agencies between January and April. Applicants may refer to the above authorities for application deadlines. China Scholarship Council (CSC) is in charge of the recruitment and the management of the Chinese Government Scholarship Program.
★ Xiamen University Institutional Code: 10384
For more information, please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua/scholarshipdetailen.aspx?cid=97&id=3157
(2) Confucius Institute Scholarship for Bachelor of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages Students (BTCSOL) (full or partial scholarship)
The scholarship is available to students who are interested in Chinese Language teaching. Scholarship winners will major in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (or Chinese in the direction of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages). Holders of this scholarship are exempt from tuition and are given subsidies for accommodation, food, medical and insurance costs. Applications should contact the Confucius Institute in their home countries, make online application at http://cis.chinese.cn/ and choose Xiamen University as the host university.
(3) Professional Development Program for Chinese Language Teachers in South Asian Countries for Bachelor of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages Students (BTCSOL) (full scholarship)
For the purposes of deepening cultural exchanges between China and South Asian countries and promoting the localization of Chinese language teaching in South Asia, Confucius Institute Headquarters launches the scholarship Program. Applicants shall be from South Asia, mainly including India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Maldives and Afghanistan. The recipients will be exempt from tuition fees, on-campus accommodation fee, and be provided with monthly living allowance. A roundtrip flight of economic class shall be provided every academic year. Applicants should make online application at http://cis.chinese.cn/ and choose Xiamen University as the host university.
(4) Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships for International Students (partial scholarship)
Fujian Provincial Government sets up this scholarship in 2012 for international students studying in Fujian in an undergraduate, master’s or doctoral program. The scholarship will cover tuition, accommodation and cost of course materials only for one academic year. Applicants can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office between February 1 and May 15 each year.
(5) Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students (partial scholarship)
XMU offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates. Scholarship recipients will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 years for doctoral programs, 2 or 3 years for master’s programs, 4 or 5 years for undergraduate programs). Applicants can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office between February 1 and April 30 each year.
Notes: Detailed information on scholarships is available at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
(6) Tan Kah Kee Scholarships (full scholarship)
The Tan Kah Kee Scholarships have been set up by Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation in 2017 as part of its efforts to foster the Tan Kah Kee spirit in entrepreneurship and dedication to education. The Scholarships are open to international students of Chinese descent from countries along the Maritime Silk Road who wish to study in a bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree program or in a long-term or short-term non-degree study program in Xiamen. The scholarships are full scholarship, covering the recipients’ tuition, accommodation and insurance expenses, and living allowances. Application deadline is July10, 2017
The scholarship recipients' academic performance will be assessed each year and only those meeting the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
12. Xiamen University Malaysia (XMUM)
In September 2013, in a bid to advance the educational cooperation and exchanges between China and ASEAN countries, the Chinese and Malaysian governments authorized Xiamen University to build a campus in Malaysia – Xiamen University Malaysia (XMUM), which has become the first overseas campus set up by a renowned Chinese university and the first Chinese university branch campus in Malaysia. XMUM had admitted its first intake of students in February 2016.
XMUM provides foundation program and undergraduate programs including Chinese Studies, Journalism, International Business, Finance, Accounting, Computer Science and Technology, Software Engineering, Digital Media Technology, Chemical Engineering and Techniques, Marine Technology, New Energy Science and Technology and Traditional Chinese Medicine will be set up first. With the exception of Chinese Studies and Traditional Chinese Medicine, all other programs will be taught in English. XMUM will offer merit-based scholarships to qualified students. Students who complete their programs of study are awarded a degree recognised by the educational authorities of both China and Malaysia.
13. Contact information
★ XMU Admissions Office (the enrollment of international students on degree programs)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn
Address: Admissions Office, Xiamen University, Siming Campus, Xiamen City, Fujian Province 361005, P. R. China
★ XMU Overseas Education College(the enrolment of Chinese language students)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2186211 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
★ XMU Medical School
Tel: +86 (0)592 2181505 Email: email@example.com
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2183606 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2183663
★ HSK Test –Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2187478 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
For more information on the HSK test, please visit http://www.hanban.edu.cn/tests/
★Xiamen University Malaysia
Tel: +603 7610 2079 (Malaysia) +86 592 2183989 (China)
Fax: +603 7610 2068 (Malaysia) +86 592 2183989 (China)firstname.lastname@example.org Website: www.xmu.edu.my