2009 Chinese Government Scholarship and Xiamen University Scholarship
I. Introduction to the scholarship
The Chinese Government Scholarship is a full scholarship set up by the Ministry of Education of China to enable foreign students to study in China. The purpose of the scholarship is to encourage and support international educational exchanges, and to establish internationally first-class Chinese universities.
Exemption from registration fees, tuition fees, cost of basic learning materials and accommodation;
Living allowance issued monthly by XMU to each scholarship student: (RMB)
Master's students: 1,700 RMB per month Doctoral students: 2,000 RMB per month
One-off settlement subsidy: 1500RMB per person
Comprehensive medical insurance: 600RMB/per year
Eligibility: Full-time master's and doctoral candidates abroad starting in the 2009 academic year. The scholarship is not open for foreign students who have already started their degree courses in China.
Programme start: September 2009
2-3 years for master's programmes,
3-4 years for doctoral programmes,
(1 year Chinese language foundation studies)
Note:More information please visit http://www.csc.edu.cn/Lianhua/f9468b6741a04dcfa4adb7778ba53081.shtml
Xiamen University (XMU) Scholarship is a national key university affiliated to the Ministry of Education. XMU is to begin independent enrolment of foreign students under this scholarship as from the beginning of the 2009 academic year. Welcome foreign students to apply for the bachelor's, master's or doctoral programmes, whether taught in English or in Chinese.
Recipients will have their tuition fees covered,
Eligibility: Full-time bachelor's, master's and doctoral candidates starting in 2009 academic year.
Programme start: September 2009
4-5years for undergraduate programmes,
2-3years for master's programmes,
3 years for doctoral programmes,
The recipients' academic performance will be assessed each year and only those achieving the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
II. Academic disciplines
As a way of enhancing the internationalisation of the university, XMU has launched several master's programmes open to outstanding foreign students. The programmes are taught in English, with the aim of fostering talented international students with both professional competence and knowledge of Chinese culture and society.
Master's programmes taught in English (2 years full-time)
Programmes taught in Chinese ( full-time)
Most programmes at XMU are taught in Chinese. Currently, XMU offers doctoral programmes in 134 disciplines, master's programmes in 217 disciplines, undergraduate programmes in 79 disciplines.
Undergraduate programmes available for applicants please see the web:
Master's programmes available for applicants, please see the web:
Doctoral programmes available for applicants please see the web:
Note: Applicants applying for postgraduate programmes taught in English except the 8 master's programmes mentioned above should contact with supervisors of the school first.
III. Candidate requirements:
1. Bachelor's candidates (only for XMU Scholarship) should be with a high school diploma and in a good state of health;
2. Master's candidates should be with a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent or higher and in a good state of health;
3. Doctoral candidates: should be with a Master's Degree or equivalent or higher and in a good state of health;
4. Chinese Proficiency for Chinese-language-taught programmes ：
Humanities candidates, including Economics, Management, Law or the Arts: Minimum level of HSK Secondary Grade C (Level 6)
Science candidates: Minimum level of HSK Elementary Grade C (Level 3)
In order to meet the language requirements for their specific courses, candidates with no previous knowledge of Chinese are required to take a foundation course in the Chinese language at the XMU Overseas Education College, XMU, and pass the appropriate HSK test held in April, June and December each year before starting their courses.
5. English Proficiency for programmes taught in English: TOEFL or IELTS with a minimum requirement of 550 points or above for TOEFL (80 points or above for New TOEFL), grade 5.5 or above for IELTS, or on presentation of a certificate from some other approved test of English proficiency. Native English speakers and applicants whose teaching language during undergraduate studies is English are exempt from this requirement.
IV. How to apply
First step: Important! Complete the on-line application (http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/application)
Second step: Send the completed application form and all the relevant documents as listed below to the Admissions Office after successful online application.
( Two set of application documents which are completed correctly and truthfully are needed if apply both the two scholarships)
1. XMU Scholarship: Application Form for International Students XMU, Application Form for Xiamen University Scholarship, completed in Chinese or English.
2. Chinese Government Scholarship: Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship, in one original and one photocopy, completed in Chinese or in English.
3. Notarised photocopy of current highest diploma. Currently-enrolled students should provide a certificate of student status. Diploma documents in languages other than Chinese or English must have Chinese or English translations attached.
4. Certified copy of academic transcript or mark sheet for undergraduate or postgraduate studies as appropriate.
5. Appropriate HSK certificate or English Proficiency Test certificate.
6. A study or research plan of at least 800 words written in Chinese or English.
7. Two original academic references from either professors or associate professors, written in Chinese or English.
(Recommendation letter from supervisors of Xiamen University will be given prior consideration)
8. Photocopy of Foreigner Physical Examination Form , completed in English. The medical examination must cover all the items listed in the form .
9. Photocopy of a valid foreign passport.
V. Contact information
Application time for Chinese Government Scholarship: Feb.15-April 30th, 2009
Application time for Xiamen University Scholarship : Feb.15-July 15th, 2009
The full set of completed application documents should be mailed to the admissions office of Xiamen University before the deadline, as evidenced by postal franking.
Address: Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Xiamen University, 361005 Fujian Province, P.R. China
Tel: +86 592 218 4792
Fax: +86 592 218 0256
VI. Approval and notification
Prospectus students can apply for both Chinese Government Scholarship and Xiamen University. The admissions office is responsible for reviewing the application materials.
The Chinese Government Scholarship awardees will be notified before the mid of July ， 2009.
The Xiamen University Scholarship awardees will be notified before the mid of August, 2009