Xiamen University (XMU), established in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, is a comprehensive institution of higher education directly affiliated with China’s Ministry of Education. In 2017, XMU was categorized as Type A University by China’s Double First-Class Initiative. The University was placed among the world’s top 400 institutions in various authoritative world university rankings, such as THE, QS, US News and ARWU.
Currently, the University has a total enrollment of approximately 40,000 students, including 20,277 in bachelor’s degree programs, 16,562 in master’s degree programs and 4,297 in doctoral degree programs, with 1,208 international students in degree programs. Students enjoy a world-class intellectual environment on a campus nestled snugly between the hills and the sea and known for its top-notch faculty and first-class facilities. They form a vibrant and essential part of the XMU community.
Over the years, XMU has forged partnerships with more than 240 higher-learning institutions in the U.K., the U.S., Japan, France, Russia and engaged in substantive cooperation with 50 of the world’s top 200 universities. Moreover, the University operates 15 Confucius Institutes in 13 countries and regions. In February 2016, Xiamen University Malaysia (XMUM) welcomed its first cohort of students. As one of the nation’s leading institutions of higher education, XMU is committed to developing the intellectual and personal strengths of its students.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens aged between 18 and 30 (as of September 1, 2021), be in good health, and possess a valid regular passport.
(1) In accordance with Article 5 of the Nationality Law of the People’s Republic of China, a person whose parents are both Chinese citizens and have both settled abroad, or one of whose parents is a Chinese citizen and has settled abroad, shall not have Chinese citizenship if he or she has acquired foreign citizenship at birth. Starting in 2021, if such a person applies to study in a bachelor’s degree program at XMU as an international student, in addition to meeting the University’s all other application requirements, he or she is required to have held a valid foreign passport for at least 4 years and have actually resided in a foreign country for at least 2 years in the past 4 years (as of April 30, 2021) (9 months of residence in a foreign country counts as a full year). The dates of the entry and exit stamps in the passport will be followed in the determination of the actual length of foreign residence). This requirement is also applicable to residents of the Chinese Mainland, Taiwan Hong Kong or Macao who have emigrated to a foreign country and obtained foreign citizenship and are applying to study in a bachelor’s degree program at XMU as international students.
(2) Foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenships, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) only after being officially recognized by the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Public Security Bureau as foreign citizens, can they apply for Residence Permit in China and register their academic records as international students. Please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/cn/16975/list.htm) for more information. Those who are not officially recognized as foreign citizens will have their qualification for enrolment revoked.
2. Applicants should hold a high school diploma with a satisfactory academic record.
II. Application Timeline: February 1 – April 30, 2021. Late applications will not be considered.
III. Application Procedures
Applicants should apply online and pay the application fee at http://application.xmu.edu.cn .
Applicants are expected to keep their phones on and check their online application account and email regularly as XMU’s Admissions Office may contact them when necessary.
Note: Applicants interested in the program of the Chinese Language may directly contact XMU's Overseas Education College and sign up online at http://oec.xmu.edu.cn . (Email: email@example.com; Tel: +86 (0)592 2186211)
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must provide true and correct information in all application documents:
1. Application Form for International Students, which should be completed and signed in Chinese or English, and will be automatically generated after successful online registration.
2. High school diploma or Certificate of Expected Graduation, bearing the stamp of the school.
(1) High school diplomas should be certified by the educational authorities of the issuing country, or via the online service system (http://zwfw.cscse.edu.cn/) operated by the Overseas Education Service Center of China’s Ministry of Education.
(2) Graduating high school students should submit a Certificate of Expected Graduation, issued by their high schools. They should obtain a high school diploma before their entry to XMU in September 2021.
(3) No certification is required for degree certificates obtained in the Chinese Mainland (excluding Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan).
(4) The originals of the diplomas and certification documents should be made available for verification upon enrolment at XMU.
3. Academic transcripts for high school studies, bearing the stamp of the School.
(1) Graduating high school students should submit academic transcripts for each year of high school to date.
(2) High school graduates should submit a complete set of academic transcripts for high school.
(3) The results report of their national college matriculation exam or internationally accepted standardized tests, e.g., UEC/A Level/ AP/IB/ SAT/ACT.
4. Language proficiency certificate.
(1) Chinese proficiency requirements for Chinese-medium programs
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management and law need to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above; applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants who have taken all courses in Chinese during their high school studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the high school should be furnished.
(2) English proficiency requirements for English-medium MBBS program
Applicants should present a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS Academic certificate with an overall score of 6.0. XMU's DI Code for TOEFL is C310. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their high school studies are exempt from the TOEFL iBT or IELTS certificate requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the high school should be furnished. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.
5. A Letter of Recommendation in Chinese or English, either signed by the recommender or bearing the stamp of the recommending organization.
6. Personal statement (minimum 800 words), which should include a self-introduction, a description of one’s educational experience, motivations for studying in China and study plan. Applicants for Chinese-medium programs are expected to deliver it in Chinese. Applicants for English-medium programs are expected to deliver it in English.
7. Scanned copy of valid regular passport. The passport should be valid through October 31, 2021.
(1) Applicants to whom the note to the first item of the Eligibility section applies, should submit a scanned copy of the first page of their valid regular passports, the entry and exit stamps, and the “Citizenship Certificate” documents issued by the country which has issued the passport, and other documents required for pre-examination of citizenship. For details, see the instructions given by the system.
(2) To avoid adverse impact on their registration and application for the Residence Permit in China, foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) are strongly advised to put together the required documents according to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification before their arrival in China.
8. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16899/list.htm) completed in Chinese or English, bearing the stamp of the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
9. Financial Support Guarantee Statement (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16900/list.htm) and its supporting documents completed in Chinese or English, certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China. Only applicant himself/herself or his/her family can act as a financial sponsor. The Statement should be accompanied by a copy of the financial sponsor’s valid passport or identification certificate. Applicants for scholarships are not exempt from this requirement.
10. Non-criminal record report.The applicant shall submit a valid certificate of Non-Criminal Record issuedby the local public security authority, usually issued within 6 months prior to the submission date of the application.
11. Other supporting documents, such as competition awards, merit certificates, community service or special skills certificates, may be submitted in the “Supporting Materials” section in online application as well.
(1) All the application materials in languages other than Chinese or English must be accompanied by the original copy and its notarized translation in Chinese or English. It is advised to have the original copy and its translation notarized at the Chinese Embassy in the applicant’s home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists of more than one page.
(2) Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held accountable for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged materials will be rejected.
(3) In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, the University reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
V. Academic Programs
XMU implements diversified and innovative talent cultivation modes aimed at equipping students with a wide range of knowledge, a solid grounding in theory, interdisciplinary expertise, strong practical skills, and a global perspective. Students will choose a specific program of study in accordance with the XMU Interim Regulations on the Choice of Programs of Study for Undergraduate Students Admitted on the Basis of Broad Categories.
For the bachelor’s degree programs on offer for 2021 entry (including the contact information of coordinators at schools or colleges), please visit https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16885/list.htm .
1. Chinese-medium Programs:
The vast majority of the bachelor’s degree programs are taught in Chinese.
2. English-medium Program:
Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
XMU is one of the Chinese universities authorized by China’s Ministry of Education to enroll international students in the English-medium MBBS program. The program aims to help international students to become qualified medical professionals through 6 years of training in the medical school and hospitals. Applicants for this program who pass the preliminary review will be invited to take a video interview. Please refer to the notification of the School of Medicine for the interview procedure.
VI. Admission and Selection
1. Verification of qualification
There will be a comprehensive review of the applicant’s foreign identity, high school diploma, academic performance, language proficiency, personal statement, recommendations and extracurricular activities.
2. Interview assessment
For those applicants who pass the verification of qualification, the related college or school will take a video interview assessment (via Skype) in mid- to late May, focuses on the students' language communication ability, overall merit, etc. Please refer to related college or school’s phone or email notification for the interview procedure.
The admission decision will be based on the verification of the applicant’s qualification and interview assessment results, as well as their program choice.
The outcome of application will be published on the application system of the Admissions Office in mid-June. Admission Notices and Student Visa Application Forms (JW202) for successful applicants will be mailed out starting in July 2021.
VII. Length of program, duration of study and conferral of degree
Chinese-medium programs: 4 years as prescribed by the State for most bachelor’s degree programs, and 5 years for some programs (architecture, urban-rural planning, etc.);
English-medium MBBS program: 6 years.
Duration of study:
4–6 years for 4-year bachelor’s degree programs;
5–7 years for 5-year bachelor’s degree programs;
6–8 years for 6-year bachelor’s degree programs.
Students will be awarded a graduation certificate by XMU after they have completed all the courses prescribed in the academic scheme and have satisfied the graduation requirements within the duration of study prescribed by XMU. Those who have also satisfied the requirements for degree conferral will be conferred a bachelor’s degree by XMU.
VIII. Application Fee: RMB 400 (payable upon signing up online; non-refundable)
IX. Tuition Fee (cost of course materials not included)
1. Chinese-medium programs:
(1) Humanities: RMB 24,000 per year;
(2) Science, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law, and Arts: RMB 26,000 per year;
2. English-medium MBBS program: RMB 38,000 per year.
Note: Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
X. Study Expenses
(1) All new students of the following schools and colleges will reside on Xiang’an campus: School of Electronic Science and Engineering, School of Informatics, School of Aerospace Engineering, School of Life Sciences, College of Ocean and Earth Sciences, College of the Environment and Ecology, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, and College of Energy. New students of all other schools and colleges will reside on Siming campus.
(2) International student apartments are available on Siming and Xiang’an campuses. The apartments on Siming campus each have a twin room, while the apartments on Xiang’an campus are in suites, with each suite consisting of four twin rooms. Each room is equipped with beds, desks and chairs, wardrobes, an air conditioner, a water heater, a bathroom (suites have a different bathroom arrangement), and Internet access (for a fee). Communal self-service washers and dryers and other equipment are available.
(3) Due to the limited availability of on-campus accommodation, priority will be given to students who are recipients of scholarships that include subsidies for on-campus accommodation. Any surplus accommodation will be allotted to students who are recipients of scholarships with no subsidies for accommodation and to self-funded students. The accommodation fees range from RMB 30 to RMB 70 per person per day on Siming campus, and from RMB 1,600 to RMB 4,000 per academic year per person on Xiang’an campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year.
(4) International students on Siming campus who receive no subsidies for accommodation should apply for on-campus accommodation every academic year, which means that their on-campus accommodation will expire at the end of the current academic year and should reapply for on-campus accommodation for the next academic year. All international students on Xiang’an campus should apply for on-campus accommodation every academic year, which means that their on-campus accommodation will expire at the end of the current academic year and should reapply for on-campus accommodation for the next academic year.
(5) International students with on-campus accommodation are expected to pay for their water and electricity consumption. For rates and charges as well as payment methods, please refer to the Enrollment Instructions for New Students. For enquiries, call +86 (0)592 2180501 (Siming campus), or +86 (0)592 2886252 (Xiang’an campus).
(6) Students who fail to secure on-campus accommodation are expected to arrange for their own off-campus accommodation before their arrival. The monthly rental of an apartment room near the Siming campus is around RMB 2,500.
(7) Recipients of Chinese Government Scholarships or Confucius Institute Scholarships that cover on-campus accommodation expenses (excluding the Professional Development Program for Chinese Language Teachers in South Asian Countries for MTCSOL) can apply for an accommodation subsidy if they give up free on-campus accommodation and choose to live off campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year. For enquiries, call + 86 (0)592 2183606.
2. Living Cost: Around RMB 1,000-1,500 per month.
3. Medical Insurance: For the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education and Xiamen University, international students are required to purchase medical insurance for an annual fee of RMB 800. Please refer to the enrolment instructions for detailed information on medical insurance.
XI. Scholarship Programs
Detailed information is available at https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/si/list.htm .
1. Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarship
The Tan Kah Kee Scholarship was set up by Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation in 2017 as part of its efforts to foster the Tan Kah Kee spirit in entrepreneurship and dedication to education. The Scholarships are open to international students of Chinese descent from countries along the Maritime Silk Road who wish to study undergraduate, master and PhD programs in Xiamen. Application period: February 1 – April15.
2. Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students
XMU itself offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates. Scholarship recipients will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 or 5 years for bachelor’s degree programs, 2 or 3 years for master’s degree programs, 4 years for doctoral degree programs). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships. Application period: February 1 – April 15.
3. Fujian Provincial Government Scholarship for International Students
The Scholarship is open to international students who wish to study in degree programs in Fujian Province. It is available only for one academic year and amounts to RMB 30,000 for undergraduates, RMB 40,000 for master’s students and RMB 50,000 for doctoral students. The University will select the best candidates from the pool of students who have passed the annual review. The shortlisted students will be recommended for the renewal of the scholarship in the subsequent year. Application period: February 1 – April 15.
4. Chinese Government Scholarships
(1) Bilateral Program (full or partial scholarship)
Applicants shall apply to Chinese diplomatic missions or their country’s dispatching agencies from January to April. Applicants may refer to the above authorities for application deadlines. For more information, please visit http://www.campuschina.org/content/details3_74775.html .
(2) Sino-U.S. Cultural Exchange Scholarship (full scholarship) (Agency No. of XMU: 10384)
U.S. students who wish to pursue their degree education in China can apply directly to XMU’s Admissions Office. Application period: February 1 – April 15.
In line with XMU’s Guidelines on Selecting Candidates for International Students Scholarships, the University will follow the principle of formality, equality and impartiality and select the best candidates from the pool of qualified and admitted students. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the university authorities and the relevant scholarship management institutions for final approval.
The scholarship recipients will be assessed on an annual basis in accordance with the relevant scholarship regulations and only those meeting the required standards will have their scholarship renewed for the subsequent year. Those who fail in the review will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
XII. Monitoring, complaints and action for misconduct
1. Under the guidance of the University’s Student Recruitment Leadership Group, XMU’s international student recruitment is jointly conducted by its Admissions Office and the relevant schools/colleges and is subject to the monitoring of the University’s Supervision Division. The Supervision Division can be reached on +86 (0)592 2180299.
2. Applicants are responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the information and documents they have submitted. New students’ admission qualifications will be rechecked upon their entry to XMU. Failure to meet the admission regulations for international students or any falsification or misrepresentation will result in disqualification of enrollment in accordance with the regulations of the educational authorities and the University.
XIII. Contact information
XMU Admissions Office (International Students Recruitment)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
XMU Overseas Education College (Chinese Language Students Recruitment)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2186211 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
XMU School of Medicine (For Enquiries on MBBS’s Courses)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2186901 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
XMU Overseas Students Affairs Office (International Students Registration and Management)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2183606 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2186589
HSK Test – Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2187478 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
★ The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.