Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships
Application Guidelines for 2019 Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships
(For Chinese descendants from countries along the Maritime Silk Road)
To promote the legacy of Mr. Tan Kah Kee, “the Flag of Overseas Chinese and the Glory of the Nation”, foster the Tan Kah Kee spirit in entrepreneurship and dedication to education, and attract outstanding international students of Chinese descent to study at Xiamen, in 2017, Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation set up the Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships. As a key comprehensive university, Xiamen University undertakes the enrolment of international degree students under this scholarships program.
1. Applicants must be Chinese descendants from countries along the Maritime Silk Road (particularly in Southeast Asia), and possess a valid foreign passport.
2. Applicants shall adhere to the “One China” Principle, be friendly to their mother country, abide by the laws and regulations of the Chinese Government, and be in good health.
3. Educational background and age limits (as of September 1, 2019):
(1) Bachelor’s degree programs: hold a high school diploma or above and be under the age of 30;
(2) Master's degree programs: hold a bachelor's degree or above and be under the age of 35;
(3) Doctoral degree programs: hold a master's degree or above and be under the age of 40.
(1) Applicants who have been awarded any other scholarship are not eligible for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships.
(2) Foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenships, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) only after being officially recognized by the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Public Security Bureau as foreign citizens, can they apply for Residence Permit in China and register their academic records as international students. Please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification (click to download) for more information.
III. Academic Programs: Chinese-medium degree programs.
IV. Duration of Scholarships
1. Bachelor’s degree programs: 4 or 5 years;
2. Master’s degree programs: 2 or 3 years;
3. Doctoral degree programs: 4 years.
V. Scholarships Quota
1. Bachelor’s degree programs: 30;
2. Master’s degree programs: 30-35;
3. Doctoral degree programs: 3-5.
Note: Final decisions will be made by Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships Committee.
VI. Scholarships Coverage
Scholarships cover tuition, on-campus accommodation, monthly living allowance and insurance.
The standard of scholarships is as follows:
1. Bachelor’s degree programs: RMB 50,000 per year;
2. Master’s degree programs: RMB 60,000 per year;
3. Doctoral degree programs: RMB 70,000 per year.
Note: The recipients’ academic performance will be assessed each year and only those achieving the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
VII. Application Period: February 1 to May 10, 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
Application for the Scholarships will be considered only after the applicant has been admitted to Xiamen University.
Application guidelines for bachelor’s degree programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/2018/1211/c16878a359135/page.htm
Application guidelines for master’s degree programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/2018/1211/c16879a359144/page.htm
Application guidelines for doctoral degree programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/2018/1211/c16880a359155/page.htm
1. Applicants are required to apply online at and upload the scan copy of Application Form for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships and Certification of Chinese Origin (). The Application Form for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships should be completed in Chinese or English with handwritten signature from the applicant. The Certification of Chinese Origin should bear the stamp of the recommending organization and handwritten signature from the person in charge.
2. Applicants are required to mail paper-based application documents for both admission and scholarships (including Application Form for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships and Certification of Chinese Origin) to XMU's Admissions Office. The package should arrive before May 10, 2019. Late applications will not be considered.
Applicants should indicate “Application for Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships” on the front cover of the package. The mailing information is as follows:
Recipient: Ms. Chen
Postal Address: Admissions Office, Xiamen University, 422 South Siming Road, Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
Tel: +86 (0)592 2188375
(1) When mailing application documents from Mainland China, EMS mailing service is highly recommended as to ensure timely and efficient delivery of your package.
(2) Applicants are expected to keep their phones open, check their email and online application account regularly as XMU's Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
(3) Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held responsible for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged application materials will be rejected.
(4) No application documents will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
IX. Selection and Notification
Applications for the scholarships will be evaluated on a competitive basis through an open and impartial process. XMU will prepare a short-list of candidates for the scholarships and submit it to the Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation for evaluation and then to the Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarships Committee for approval. Scholarship decisions will be made on the basis of the applicants’ academic performance, research achievements, supervisors’ comment, letters of recommendation, and overall merits.
Final decisions for the scholarships will be made in late July and the results will be published at https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn. Scholarships awardees will be notified via email. Admission Notices and Student Visa Application Forms (JW202) will be sent out as soon as possible.
X. Contact Information
Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Add.: 422 South Siming Road, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China (Postcode: 361005)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792/2188375
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256