Chinese Govt Scholarship
Sino-U.S. Cultural Exchange Scholarship
Date: 2018-12-30 Views:1345
Application Guidelines for 2019 Sino-U.S. Cultural Exchange Degree-study Scholarship
The Sino-U.S. Cultural Exchange Degree-study Scholarship, a full scholarship set up by China’s Ministry of Education in 2011, is aimed at attracting outstanding American students to study in China. Xiamen University is one of the prestigious universities designated to recruit American students to study in degree programs under this scholarship scheme.
1. Applicants must be American citizens in good health.
2. Educational background and age limits (as of September 1, 2019):
(1) Bachelor’s degree programs: hold a high school diploma or above and be under the age of 25;
(2) Master's degree programs: hold a bachelor's degree or above and be under the age of 35;
(3) Doctoral degree programs: hold a master's degree or above and be under the age of 40.
3. Applicants who apply for programs of foreign language studies are not eligible.
III. Academic Programs
1. Chinese-medium degree programs.
Please refer to the “Academic Programs” section at .
2. English-medium postgraduate degree programs.
Currently, the University offers 22 master’s programs and 43 doctoral programs in English. These programs are aimed at producing high-level international specialists with a solid professional foundation and a good understanding of the Chinese society and culture.
Please refer to the “Programs in English” section at .
IV. Duration of Scholarships
1. Bachelor’s degree programs: 4 or 5 years;
2. Master’s degree programs: 2 or 3 years;
3. Doctoral degree programs: 4 years.
(1) For those who have not met the entry requirements of Chinese proficiency level and wish to take remedial Chinese courses before the major study, they should also present the HSK certificate when applying. For programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine, a certificate of new HSK band 4 is required. For programs in sciences, engineering and medicine, a certificate of new HSK band 3 is required. Only by passing the required new HSK test within the first year and meeting the entry requirements of the relevant degree programs could they then start the major study. English-medium programs do not have Chinese proficiency requirements.
(2) Scholarships recipients’ academic performance will be assessed each year and only those achieving the required standard will have their scholarship renewed for the following year.
V. Scholarships Quota: To be determined.
VI. Scholarships Coverage
1. Tuition fee;
2. On-campus accommodation fee oroff-campus accommodation monetary subsidy (RMB 700/month for bachelor’s and master's programs; RMB 1,000/month for doctoral programs);
3. Living allowance (RMB 2,500/month for bachelor's programs; RMB 3,000/month for master's programs; RMB 3,500/month for doctoral programs);
4. Comprehensive medical insurance.
Note: Other expenses for study in China, such as international travel expenses, cost of physical examination, security deposit for on-campus accommodation, and cost of course materials, should be borne by the scholarship recipients themselves.
VII. Application Period: February 1 to April 15, 2019.
Application for the Scholarships will be considered only after the applicant has been admitted to Xiamen University.
Application guidelines for bachelor’s degree programs:
Application guidelines for master’s degree programs:
Application guidelines for doctoral degree programs:
1. Applicants shall make online application at (Program Category: Type B; Agency No. of XMU: 10384) and print out the Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarships. The Scholarships Application Form should be completed in Chinese or English and signed by the applicant.
2. Applicants shall make another online application at and upload the scan copy of Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarships.
(1) Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held responsible for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged application materials will be rejected.
(2) Applicants are expected to keep their phones on, check their email and online application account regularly as XMU's Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
IX. Selection and Notification
A comprehensive review will be conducted on applicant’s academic record, language proficiency, overall merits, research achievements and their prospective supervisor’s comments. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to China Scholarship Council for final approval.
The final results will be published at in late July or early August. Scholarships awardees will be notified via email. Admission Notices and Visa Application Forms for Study (JW201) will be sent out afterwards.
X. Contact Information
Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Add.: 422 South Siming Road, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China (Postcode: 361005)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792/2188375
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256