International Students Enrolment Instructions 2018 (Siming Campus)
Date: 2018-07-10 Views:2201
Xiamen University International Students Enrolment Instructions 2018
Congratulations on your admission to XMU!
Please click to download a PDF file of the Enrolment Instructions -Siming Campus.pdf.
I. Visa Application
Students should apply for an X1 or X2 visa for study in China by presenting the original and a photocopy of their valid passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW201/JW202) and Physical Examination Record for Foreigners(if required) to the Chinese Embassy or a Chinese consulate-general in their home country.
Students with an X1 visa should proceed to the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Xiamen Public Security Bureau to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of arrival. Please note that the yellow page of your Visa Application Form is required for the Residence Permit application after your arrival in China. Applications for visa alteration or visa extension should be filed under the guidance of the Overseas Student Affairs Office (OSAO) at Xiamen University (Tel: +86 (0)592 2183606; email: firstname.lastname@example.org). All fees payable should be borne by the applicant. Fee rates set by the Entry and Exit Administration Department of Xiamen Public Security Bureau will apply.
Note: For foreign citizens of Chinese origin, only after being officially recognized by the Exit and Entry Administration Bureau as foreign citizens can they matriculate at Xiamen University and apply for a Residence Permit in China. For more information, please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification: http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/cn/16975/list.htm
II. Health Check-up
The Physical Examination Record for Foreigners (including the original form and other medical reports such as X-ray, electrocardiogram, blood test reports, etc.) is required for the Residence Permit application after your arrival in China. Students who have taken a physical examination and obtained the Physical Examination Form in their home country should have their original forms and medical reports certified by Xiamen International Travel Healthcare Center (certification fee: approx. RMB 60). Students who meet the health requirements will receive a Health Certificate, with which they can apply for a Residence Permit.
Students who have not taken a physical examination before arrival in China should proceed to Xiamen International Travel Healthcare Center as arranged by the University to undergo a physical examination during the orientation week. Students who meet the health requirements will be awarded a Health Certificate (physical examination fee: approx. RMB 550). Please note that the fees quoted are for reference only and are subject to change without prior notice.
The Physical Examination Record for Foreigners can be downloaded at http://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16899/list.htm. Xiamen International Travel Healthcare Center is located at 116 Dongdu Road, Xiamen (Tel: +86 (0)592 5675915).
III. College English Placement Test (for undergraduate students only)
College English is one of the most important foundation courses in the University’s curriculum. In order to satisfy the personalized needs of students in different categories and with different levels of English proficiency, the University Academic Affairs Office will administer an English Placement Test for new undergraduate students from 7:00 to 9:00 pm on September 12, 2018. For details, please consult the school/college after enrolment.
IV. Arrival and Accommodation
1. Recipients of full scholarships or partial scholarships covering accommodation fee are required to book accommodation on the Siming campus and express their preferences through Xiamen University’s Online Accommodation Reservation System (http://xsswdt.xmu.edu.cn/) anytime from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm between August 15 and August 30, 2018 (GMT+8). Accommodation will be reserved until October 8, 2018 for those who have missed the deadline for online reservation. Room number will be given on the registration day. Please read the attached Instructions for the Use of Online Accommodation Reservation System.pdf carefully for more information. Students who have on-campus accommodation can check in on the registration day on the second floor of Cai Qingjie Building (Tel: +86 (0)592 2180501; open 24 hours a day) with a deposit of RMB 1,000. Please refer to the Siming campus map for the location of Cai Qingjie Building. Students to be accommodated on Siming campus can first check in at Cai Qingjie Building if they arrive before the registration date, and then register at the designated placeon the registration date. Students with an accommodation fee waiver should pay for their accommodation before the registration date if they have arrived early.
2. Recipients of partial scholarships excluding accommodation fee & self-supporting students are expected to arrange for off-campus accommodation on their own before arrival. They can make on-campus accommodation reservation from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm between September 11 and September 13 by calling +86 (0)592 2180501 or consulting the front desk of Cai Qingjie Building. Applications for on-campus accommodation may be considered, subject to the availability of rooms. Those who have secured on-campus accommodation after September 11 can check in on the second floor of Cai Qingjie Building (Tel: +86 (0)592 2180501; open 24 hours a day) with a payment of RMB 4,000 in cash. Please refer to the Siming campus map for the location of Cai Qingjie Building.
3. On the registration day, the University will set up a Guide Point at the Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport. Students can take a taxi to Xiamen University’s Siming campus from the Airport. The ride takes about 20 minutes and costs about RMB 60 (approx. USD 9). Detailed information will be posted at http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn and please follow the latest notices on this website.
4. International students must register their accommodation after arrival in China in accordance with the relevant regulations:
(1) Students who plan to live in hotels should complete accommodation registration according to hotel management regulations. Students who are to live in Nanguang Building 4, Nanguang Building 5 or Cai Qingjie Building should register at the Xiamen Siming District University Road Police Station (Tel: +86 (0)592 2510110) within 24 hours of arrival with their passports and Certificates of Accommodation obtained from the front desk on the second Floor of Cai Qingjie Building.
(2) Students who are to live in places other than hotels should complete accommodation registration at the nearest police station within 24 hours of arrival (the Siming Branch of Xiamen Municipal Public Security Bureau: +86 (0)592 5302911; Xiamen Siming District University Road Police Station: +86 (0)592 2510110).
(3) Those who have failed to comply with the Accommodation Registration Regulations will be subject to a penalty, face restrictions on the length of residence, or be disqualified of residing in China by the Public Security Bureau in accordance with related laws and regulations.
V. Registration Procedures
New students are required to complete pre-registration at http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn within the timeframe listed below. For inquiries, please contact +86 (0)592 2183606 or email@example.com. The username is the 11-digit serial number printed in the upper right corner on the Chinese page of your admission notice.
Please note that pre-registration is mandatory. Late or no pre-registration may affect your formal registration on campus.
2. Registration Date & Location:
Online Pre-registration Period
Anytime between August 21-28(GMT+8)
8:00 am - noon; 2:30 pm - 5:30 pm;
8:00 am – noon (only half a day).
At the designated place of the respective schools/colleges on campus. (Detailed information will be posted at http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn and please follow the signs on campus on the registration day.)
The following materials are required upon registration: ①a photocopy of your passport, the visa page and the page with the entry stamp in your passport, ②your Admission Notice and one photocopy, ③three to five recent passport-style photos and ④your highest degree certificate (original). Please note that highest degree certificates in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
1. Registration should be completed within the timeframe specified in the Admission Notice. If you are unable to register on time, you should file a request for leave at http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn and obtain approval from the School and the relevant offices at least five days before the Registration Date. Students who fail to file a request for leave, or fail to obtain approval, or fail to register within the first two weeks of a new semester will be disqualified for enrolment.
2. Identification and Qualification Review: International students should study in China with a valid foreign passport and a visa of the type relevant to their student status. Any student who provides false identity documents will be disqualified from enrolment. According to regulations, the University will review admission qualifications within 3 months after the registration. Those who fail the review will have their qualification of enrolment revoked. A valid foreign personal passport and a certificate of highest educational attainment (original) are required for the review.
3. Under Xiamen University’s regulations, students cannot complete their registration until they have paid all fees in full, including tuition, accommodation and insurance fees, within the prescribed timeframe. Tuition fees will not be refunded to students who withdraw from their study halfway through or are expelled for disciplinary reasons before the end of a semester. Students who resume their study or are enrolled during the semester are required to pay full fees for the entire semester.
4. Students who choose to pay in cash should proceed to the Bank of China Xiamen University Sub-branch to pay their tuition with the Admission Notice and the payment notice given by their respective schools.
5. Students who choose to pay by bank draft should submit their bank drafts and the payment notice given by their respective schools to the University’s Finance Office (4/F, Jiageng Building 3). The drafts will be cashed out with the bank designated by the Finance Office. (Students are responsible for bank charges.)
VI. Study Expenses
1. Tuition fees per academic year in RMB
Category of programs
Science & engineering, medicine, economics, management, law and arts, physical education
MBBS program (English-medium)
Master’s programs (Chinese-medium)
Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages(MTCSOL)
Master’s programs (English-medium)
Doctoral programs (English-medium)
General Scholar programs
General Scholar programs (English-medium)
Senior Scholar programs
Senior Scholar programs (English-medium)
Overseas Education College
(Chinese Language programs)
Length of Undergraduate Programs: 4-5 years (MBBS program: 6 years).
Length of Master’s Programs: 3 years.
Length of Doctoral Programs: 4 years (only the first 3 years are charged).
Length of MTCSOL/ English-medium Master’s Programs: 2 years.
Note 2: Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
(1) Accommodation on Siming Campus
nRecipients of full scholarships or partial scholarships covering accommodation fee will be accommodated on Siming campus if their accommodation reservation is successful. Undergraduates are accommodated in four-person rooms. Master’s students are accommodated in four-person rooms in general. Doctoral students live in single rooms or twin rooms. During students’ residence on campus, they should pay a security deposit of RMB 1,000. Students who arrive before the registration date should pay for their temporary accommodation. For more information, please contact Cai Qingjie Building at +86 (0)592 2180501.
nRecipients of partial scholarships excluding accommodation fee & self-supporting students:
After successful accommodation reservation, they should pay a lump sum of about RMB 4,000 all at a time, including a security deposit and accommodation fees for a minimum of six months. The daily rates are as follows (based on accommodation for more than a month): four-person rooms: around RMB 8-25 per bed; twin rooms: around RMB 25-30 per bed; single rooms: around RMB 50 per bed. Please note that the fees quoted herein are for reference only and are subject to change without prior notice.
(2) Accommodation off Siming Campus
Students who have not successfully reserved on-campus accommodation should arrange for their off-campus accommodation before arrival. Living off campus provides greater opportunities for international students to interact with locals, learn about local traditions and culture, and improve their Chinese skills. A spacious and comfortable room off campus may be rented for about RMB 2,500 per month. International students may also consider renting an apartment with other students.
3. Cost of course materials: Students are expected to purchase course materials as required. On average, this amounts to RMB 400-700 per academic year.
4. Food expenses: Students can dine in XMU’s student canteens. Food cost is estimated at RMB 600-800 a month.
5. Student insurance: RMB 600 per student per year. In accordance with the Chinese Ministry of Education’s regulations, international students whose length of study exceeds six months are required to take part in a group insurance scheme offered by the Ping’an Insurance Company of China when they register. International students should pay insurance fees upon registration; otherwise, they will not be allowed to complete the registration, extend their visa or change the type of their visas. (Recipients of Xiamen University Scholarships and Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships who fail to take part in the insurance scheme will forfeit their scholarships.)
6. Miscellaneous expenses: The student is responsible for medical expenses not covered by insurances, the visa fees and all other non-exempt expenses during his or her study.
VII. Campus Life
As a convenience on campus, a “Campus Debit Card” will be issued to you, which can be used for purchases in the campus supermarkets and canteens and for medical services at XMU Hospital. The e-card also serves as an access card to university facilities such as the library.
2. Other services
China Construction Bank, the Industrial and Commercial Bank of China, the Bank of China, and the Post Office all have outlets on campus. ATMs can also be found on campus. The ticket office in Jianwen Building on Siming campus offers regular train, high-speed train, and airplane tickets.
1. Recipients of full scholarships or partial scholarships that provide monthly living allowances will receive their first-month living allowance around late September or early October.
2. All Students are advised to have about RMB 5,000 in cash to pay for accommodation, physical examination, insurance, transportation, food and so on.
3.Please take care of your personal belongings. If you’re carrying a large sum of cash, it is advisable to deposit it into the bank immediately after your arrival on campus. Do not swim in any place other than the swimming pools on campus.
VIII. Contact Information
nAdmissions Office of Xiamen University (for the enrolment of international students)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2184792 / 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
Location: Room 306, Jiageng Building 3, Siming Campus, Xiamen University
nOverseas Students Affairs Office (OSAO) of Xiamen University (for the registration and management of international students’ affairs)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2183606 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2183663
Location: Room 508, Jiageng Building 3, Siming Campus, Xiamen University
nFront Desk in the Cai Qingjie Building, Student Dormitory Administration Office (for the administration of on-campus accommodation)
Tel: +86 (0) 592 2180501 Email: