Date: 2019-05-13 Views:11
Application Guidelines for 2019 MOFCOM Scholarship, Xiamen University
Xiamen University (XMU), established in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, is a comprehensive institution of higher education directly affiliated with China’s Ministry of Education. In 2017, XMU was categorized as type A university by China’s Double First-Class Initiative. The University was placed among the world’s top 400 institutions in various authoritative world university rankings, such as THE, QS, US News and ARWU.
MOFCOM Scholarship is set up by Ministry of Commerce of People’s Republic of China to further strengthen the communication and cooperation between China and other countries as well as to develop talents for developing countries. Starting from 2015, MOFCOM Scholarship mainly sponsors the young and the middle-aged talents from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China. China Scholarship Council is entrusted to administer the Scholarship. Xiamen University is among the universities that recruit international students under this scholarship scheme.
I. Supporting categories, duration of scholarship and instruction language
MOFCOM Scholarship supports Master’s program for 2 years. Scholarship winners must register for English-taught program.
II. Where & When to Apply
The Economic and Commercial Counselor’s Office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy in your country will be open for application until 31st May 2019.
To be eligible, applicants must:
-be a citizen of a developing country other than the People’s Republic of China, and under the age of 45 (born after September 1, 1974);
-be healthy physically and mentally with a physical examination report issued by a local public hospital, and not having any disease or situation listed below:
a) Diseases prohibited by Chinese Entry-Exit Inspection and Quarantine Laws and Regulations
b) Other severe chronic diseases like high blood pressure, cardio-cerebrovascular disease, diabetes; psychological diseases; or other infectious diseases which may harm public health
c) In recovery period after major surgery or acute disease attacks
d) Severe physically challenged
-with at least three years’ working experience, and be a bachelor’s degree holder when applying for master’s program;
-be incumbents with a relevant educational background or working experience to the applied program are preferred;
-be public officials of division level and above (or corresponding level) in government sectors, or senior management staff of organizations and enterprises, or academic backbones of universities and research institutions;
-be sufficient in English which meets the academic requirements of Xiamen University’s English-medium programs, be equivalent to IELTS 6.0 or TOEFL 80 and above level;
-be with the potential of professional development, and is committed to promoting the friendly exchanges and cooperation between the host country and China;
-be neither studying in China nor being admitted to other scholarship programs provided by Chinese government.
IV. Scholarship Coverage
1. Students are exempt from tuition fee, teaching material fee, research and survey fee, allowance of English-taught program, dissertation guidance fee;
2. Free on-campus accommodation;
3. Monthly stipend:
36000RMB per year per master student,
42000RMB per year per PhD student;
4. One-off resettlement fee: 3000RMB per person;
5. Free medical insurance for international students;
6. One-time round-trip international airfare for all the students (First time fly to China after enrollment, and Fly back to home country while graduation), and a maximum of “n-1” (“n” is for the length of schooling year which is set while the student was enrolled by the program, “n” is less than or equal to three) round-trip international airfares for home visits (one time per year set at the end of an academic year);
7. The annual review is compulsory for all students. Those who pass the review may continue to enjoy full scholarships in the next year.
8. Other expenses shall be managed and used by the Ministry of Commerce or the universities as a whole, and shall not be distributed to students. The Ministry of Commerce only provides students with financial assistance within their enrolled academic duration. Students who postpone their graduation will not receive the continuing sponsorship.
V. Academic Programs
English-medium Master’s Degree Programs
College of Humanities
School of Law
Civil and Commercial Law, International Law, Fiscal and Tax Law
Research School for Southeast Asian Studies
Coastal and Ocean Management Institute
School of Information Science and Technology
Computer Technology (Professional Degree)
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
Chemical Engineering, Physical Chemistry
School of Economics
International Trade,Regional Economics,Public Finance, Statistics
Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics
Finance, Financial Engineering, Quantitative Economics, Management Economics,Population, Resources and Environmental Economics, Industrial Economics, Labour Economics
Institute for Financial and Accounting Studies
(1) If the number of students admitted to the master’s programs is less than 5, the University will advise applicants to change their program choice.
(2) For detailed information, please refer to the Programs in English section at https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn.
VI. Application Documents (written in Chinese or English)
Application Online and Documents List
1. Application Form for MOFCOM Scholarship;
Ensure you have both submitted it online
(visit www.csc.edu.cn/studyinchina or www.campuschina.orgclick “Scholarship Application for Students”) and printed the hard copy. For more application instructions, please check Attachment I;
2. Photocopy of highest diploma;
3. Photocopy of academic transcripts;
4. A Study Plan or Research Proposal, plus a resume including the educational background and working experience after high school; Applicants for entry to the School of Economics or Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics should complete the attached Study Plan Form for Master’s Program Application.
5. Two recommendation letters, including one from current employer and one from academic perspective;
7. Photocopy of the English proficiency certificate; (a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS certificate with an overall score of 6.0 or above. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their bachelor’s degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the University should be furnished. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.)
8. Photocopy of a valid regular passport.
9. Other application documents required by Xiamen University. For details, please refer to
1. The applicants shall obtain the approval and recommendation from the relevant department of host country before applying for this scholarship. Afterwards, the applicants could submit application according to the requirements of above department.
2. For the applicants whose host government allows them to submit the application directly to the Embassy of China, please obtain the permission or recommendation letter from the host government which states that the applicant has been approved to study in China, and submit the original documents of the letter and other above mentioned application documents to the ECCO of Chinese Embassy in the host country. The scanned electronic edition of the documents is needed as well. For emails and addresses of the Economic and Commercial Counsellor’s Offices, please visit http://www.china-aibo.cn.
3. The responsible department of the host government shall submit a written request to the ECCO of Chinese Embassy for an official recommendation letter and clearly state:
a) Whether the applicant is willing to be considered for a similar program at other universities if the applied programs could not accept the applicant.
b) Other special requests if any.
a) All the documents to be submitted should be in Chinese or English. Otherwise, a notarized copy in Chinese or English is required.
b) An original copy of degrees, transcripts, Foreigner Physical Examination Form and language certificates must be presented for on-site verification.
c) Applicants will get back all the hard-copy materials, both original copies and photocopies from the ECCO of Chinese Embassy. If admitted, students must take the documents to China and submit them to the University for verification and archive.
d) Bringing spouse or other dependent for accompanying is not allowed during the students’ study in China. The scholarship will not provide any related cost;
e) No explanation will be given on the enrollment result.
f) Applications without the recommendation from the ECCO of Chinese Embassy will not be considered.
VII. Placement and Notification
Xiamen University will conduct a comprehensive review on applicant’s academic record, language proficiency, overall merits, and research achievements. CSC will place each applicant in one university only on the basis of their choice and universities’ requirements.
VIII. Admission & Registration
Scholarship winners will receive the admission package from ECCO of the Chinese Embassy by the end of August, 2019, and must register at the host university before the deadline which is usually September, 2019.
IX. Contact Information
Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Add.: 422 South Siming Road, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China (Postcode: 361005)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792/2188375
More information is available at