XMU International Students Enrolment Instructions 2019 (Xiang'an Campus)
Date: 2019-07-18 Views:2202
All international students of the Overseas Education College, School of Medicine, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, School of Aerospace Engineering, School of Life Sciences, College of Oceanography and Earth Sciences, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute, College of Environment and Ecology, and College of Energy will reside on Xiang’an Campus. All international undergraduate students of College of Electronic Science and Technology, School of Information will also reside on Xiang’an Campus.
I. Visa Application
Students should apply for an X1 or X2 visa for study in China by presenting the original valid regular passport, Admission Notice, Visa Application Form (JW201/JW202) and Physical Examination Record for Foreigners(if required) (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16899/list.htm) to the Chinese Embassy or a Chinese Consulate in their home country.
Students with an X1 visa should proceed to the Exit and Entry Administration Office of Xiamen Public Security Bureau (Add: No. 64-1 Zhenhai Road, Siming District, Xiamen; Tel: 0086-(0)592-2262203) to apply for a Residence Permit within 30 days of entry into China. All fees payable should be borne by the applicants. Please properly keep the yellow page of JW201/JW202 for the Residence Permit application afterentry into China.
Foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenships, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) only after being officially recognized by the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Public Security Bureau as foreign citizens, can they apply for Residence Permit in China and register their academic records as international students. Please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/cn/16975/list.htm) for more information and get all the required documents ready in advance. Those who fail to pass the certification will have their qualification for enrolment revoked.
II. Arrival and Accommodation
On the registration day, the University will set up a Guide Point at the Xiamen Gaoqi International Airport. Students can take a taxi to Xiamen University’s Xiang’an Campus. The ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about RMB 80. For detailed information regarding the pick-up service, please follow the latest notices posted on the University’s portal (http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn).
Dormitories on Xiang’an Campus will be opened on the registration day. If arriving early, students should arrange for off-campus accommodation on their own. On the registration day, students need to pay the tuition and accommodation fees first, then proceed to the Office of Property Management (Add: 1/F, Guoguang Building 3, Xiang’an Campus; Tel: 0086-18150360182) to complete move-in formalities.
International students must register their accommodation after entry into China in accordance with the relevant regulations. Those who have failed to comply with the Accommodation Registration Regulations will be subject to a penalty, face restrictions on the length of residence, or be disqualified of residing in China by the Public Security Bureau in accordance with related laws and regulations.
For students who live in on-campus dormitories, please contact the office of respective schools/colleges for the procedure of accommodation registration with both the original and photocopy of passport, as well as the Certificate of Accommodation obtained from the Office of Property Management.
III. Registration Procedures
1. Pre-registration: Students should complete the pre-registration on the University’s portal (http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn) between August 21 and August 28. The username is the 11-digit serial number printed in the upper left corner on the Admission Notice. The initial password is the date of birth (YYYYMMDD).
Notes: Pre-registration is mandatory. Please complete within the timeframe so it won’t affect your formal registration on campus. For difficulties in logging in and using the portal, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. On-campus registration:
(1) Registration date: 08:00-12:00, 14:30-17:30, September 10; 08:00-12:00, September 11.
(2) Registration location: At the designated place of the respective schools/colleges on campus.
(3) Registration documents: ①Original and photocopy of the front page, the X1 or X2 visa page, as well as the page with the entry stamp in the passport. ②Original and photocopy of the Admission Notice. ③Original and photocopy of highest degree certificate. All the materials in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with the notarized translation in Chinese or English. ④three to five recent passport-style photos in color.
(1) Registration should be completed within the timeframe specified in the Admission Notice. If unable to register on time, please file a request for leave on the University’s portal (http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn) and obtain approval from the School and the relevant offices at least five days before the registration day. Students who fail to file a request for leave, or fail to obtain approval, or fail to register within the first two weeks of a new semester will be disqualified for enrolment.
(2) Students should present the original valid regular passport, highest degree certificate and other required documents upon registration for the review. The identification documents shouldmatch the purpose of studying in China as a foreign student. Otherwise, no registration shall be granted. Any student who provides false identity documents will be disqualified from enrolment. According to regulations, the University will review admission qualifications within 3 months after the registration. Those who fail the review will have their qualification of enrolment revoked.
(3) Students cannot complete their registration until they have paid all fees in full, including tuition, accommodation and insurance fees, within the prescribed timeframe. Tuition fees will not be refunded to students who withdraw from their study halfway through or are expelled for disciplinary reasons before the end of a semester. Students who resume their study or are enrolled during the semester are required to pay full fees for the entire semester. Students who choose to pay in cash should proceed to the bank designated to pay their tuition with the Admission Notice and the payment notice given by their respective schools. Students who choose to pay by bank draft should submit their bank drafts and the payment notice given by their respective schools to the University’s Finance Office (Add: 9/F, Main Building 3, Xiang’an Campus). The drafts will be cashed out with the bank designated by the Finance Office. Students are responsible for bank charges.
IV. Study Costs
1. Tuition fee (per academic year in RMB)
Medium of Instruction
Duration of Program
Science, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts
BA in Chinese Language
Chinese Language Program
(1) Doctoral students will have the tuition waiver during the 4th academic year.
(2) Tuition fees are subject to change upon approval by price regulators.
2. Accommodation fee
(1) For students who have their on-campus accommodation fee covered by scholarships: Undergraduate, master’s and general scholar students are accommodated in twin rooms, while doctoral and senior scholar students are accommodated in single rooms. During residence on campus, students should pay a security deposit of RMB 1,000.
(2) For students who have their on-campus accommodation fee covered by themselves: Students are accommodated in twin rooms, which cost around RMB 2,000 per person per year. Students need to pay a lump sum of about RMB 2,000 all at a time, including a security deposit and accommodation fees for a minimum of six months.
(1) Accommodation fees are subject to change upon approval by price regulators.
(2) For doctoral students who have their on-campus accommodation fee covered by scholarships, if attending remedial Chinese language courses prior to the commencement of their program of study, they will live in twin rooms during their language study.
(3) International students will be accommodated in the Student Dormitory Area II on campus. The dormitories are pre-assigned by the University.
3. Cost of course materials: Students need to purchase course materials as required. This usually amounts to RMB 400-700 per academic year.
4. Cost of meals: Students can dine in the om-campus canteens. This usually amounts to RMB 600-800 per month.
5. Insurance premium: To ensure the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of Chinese Ministry of Education and the actual demands of daily management, international students are required to join the comprehensive group insurance scheme provided by the Ping An Annuity Insurance Company Beijing Branch. The insurance premium is RMB 800 per person per year.
(1) For students who have their insurance premium covered by scholarships: The University or the scholarship council in charge will purchase insurance on your behalf after on-campus registration. There is not need to pay for the insurance at your own cost.
(2) For students who have their insurance premium covered by themselves: Students who have been admitted to the MBBS program are required to purchase insurance according to the further notice announced by School of Medicine after on-campus registration. Other students are required to visit www.lxbx.net and purchase insurance for 2019/2020 AY online between August 21 and September 9. Please properly keep the insurance receipt generated after successful payment for on-campus registration. Students who fail to purchase insurance on time will not be allowed to register or apply for a Residence Permit. Awardees of Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships and Xiamen University Scholarships will also have their scholarships terminated. For detailed information, please refer to the instruction attached or visit the University’s portal (http://welcome.xmu.edu.cn).
6. Miscellaneous expenses: Students are responsible for medical expenses not covered by insurances, the visa fees and all other non-exempt expenses during study.
V. Health Check-up
The Health Certificate is required for the Residence Permit application after entry into China.
1. For students who have taken a physical examination before arrival, please have the original Physical Examination Record for Foreigners, as well as original medical reports such as X-ray, ECG, and laboratory exam reports, certified by the Xiamen International Travel Healthcare Center (Add: No. 31 Jinding Road, Huli District, Xiamen; Tel: 0086-(0)592-5875918). The certification costs around RMB 60. Students who meet the health requirements will then receive a Health Certificate.
2. For students who have not taken a physical examination before arrival, please proceed to the Xiamen International Travel Healthcare Center as arranged by the University to undergo a physical examination during the orientation week. The physical examination costs around RMB 550. Students who meet the health requirements will then receive a Health Certificate
VI. College English Placement Test for Undergraduate Students
College English is one of the most important foundation courses in the University’s curriculum for undergraduate students. In order to satisfy the personalized needs of undergraduate students in different categories and with different levels of English proficiency, the University Academic Affairs Office will administer a paper-based English Placement Test for new undergraduate students. For details, please consult the school/college after enrolment.
VII. Campus Life
1. E-card: Students will receive an E-card after registration. After connecting the E-card to a local bankcard, students can easily use E-card to dine in the on-campus canteens, shop in the on-campus supermarkets, and pay for medical service at the University Health Center. E-card also serves as an access card to university facilities such as the library.
(1) Students who have their monthly living allowances covered by scholarships will receive their first-month living allowance around late September or early October. So all students are advised to have about RMB 5,000 in cash to pay for accommodation (including security deposit), physical examination, insurance, transportation, food and so on.
(2) Students should take care of their own security and valuables. Do not swim in any place other than the swimming pools on campus. If carrying a large sum of cash, please deposit it into the bank immediately after arrival on campus.
VIII. Contact Information
1. Admissions Office of Xiamen University
(for enrolment and scholarships assessment of new international students)
Add: Location: Room 306, Jiageng Building 3, Siming Campus, Xiamen University, 422 South Siming Road, Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
2. Overseas Students Affairs Office of Xiamen University
(for registration, management and scholarships distribution of international students)
Add: Room 508, Jiageng Building 3, Siming Campus, Xiamen University, 422 South Siming Road, Siming District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
3. Student Dormitory Administration Office of Xiamen University
(for on-campus accommodation management of international students)
Add: Student Activity Center, Xiang’an Campus, Xiamen University, South Xiang’an Road, Xiang'an District, Xiamen, Fujian Province, China.
Xiang’an Campus, Xiamen University,
Xiang’an Campus, Xiamen University,
★ The English version of these Instructions is provided for reference only. In case of discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail.