Xiamen University (XMU), founded in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, was the first Chinese university established by an overseas Chinese person. XMU has long been listed among China’s leading universities on the national 211 Project, 985 Project and Double First-Class Initiative, which have been launched by the Chinese government to support selected universities in achieving world-class standing. Nestled snugly between green hills and the blue sea, XMU is renowned as one of the most beautiful universities around the world for its excellent education facilities and beautiful environment.
Xiamen University currently comprises Siming Campus, Zhangzhou Campus, Xiang’an Campus and XMU Malaysia. XMU consists of a graduate school, six academic divisions, 33 schools and 16 research institutes. In 2022, six XMU disciplines – education, chemistry, marine science, biology, ecology and statistics – were included in the nation’s list of disciplines for achieving world-class status. XMU ranks among ESI’s global top 1% in 19 disciplines, with chemistry, materials science and engineering in ESI’s global top 1‰. XMU currently has a faculty of nearly 3,000, of whom 74.3% are full or associate professors. Among them, 32 are the members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. XMU currently has an enrollment of more than 44,000 students, including over 20,000 students in bachelor’s degree programs, 18,000 in master’s degree programs, and 5,000 in doctoral degree programs.
XMU implements a comprehensive global outreach strategy. The University has signed cooperation agreements with 259 overseas universities. Actively involved in international Chinese education, XMU has built 14 Confucius Institutes and 48 Confucius Classrooms in 12 countries on five continents, the highest numbers with the most extensive geographic coverage among Chinese universities on the List of “Double First-Class” Universities. In July 2014, XMU Malaysia broke ground, making XMU the first Chinese university to open an international campus, hailed as a jewel on the crown of the “Belt and Road Initiative”.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens generally under the age of 50 (as of September 1, 2023), be mentally and pysically healthy, and possess a valid regular passport.
Note: Foreign citizens of Chinese origin, including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens, will be subject to a preliminary review of citizenship status by XMU during the admission stage, and to verification of citizenship by the entry and exit administration department of China’s public security authorities. Applicants who fail to pass the preliminary review or verification of citizenship will be deemed to have voluntarily relinquished their eligibility for admission, as well as the subsequent academic registration that they may obtain.
2. Applicants should be a graduating student of a master’s program or hold a master’s degree or above.
3. Scholarship applicants should also meet the age limit requirements of respective scholarships.
II. Application Period
Chinese Government Scholarship applicants: December 1, 2022 to Feb. 28, 2023
Applicants for other scholarships: December 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023
Self-funded applicants: December 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023
Notes: Beijing Time; late applications will not be accepted.
III. Application Procedures
Applicants should apply and pay the application fee through the XMU online application system for international students at http://application.xmu.edu.cn.
Notes: Applicants for School of Economics (SOE), Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics (WISE), or Gregory and Paula Chow Center for Economics Research are suggested to have the pre-sceening by SOE, WISE, and Chow Center:
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must fill in the application information truthfully in Chinese or English in the application system and upload the following application documents:
1. A scanned copy of the first page of the passport (regular passport, valid through October 31, 2023).
Note: Applicants in the category requiring preliminary review of citizenship status marked in the “Application Requirements”, depending on their citizenship status, should follow the instructions in the application system to provide information and upload the documents required for the preliminary review of citizenship status and bring the relevant paper documents to XMU when enrolling; failure to do so will affect registration and citizenship verification.
2. Birth certificate
3. Parents’ identity documents
4. Bachelor’s and master’s degree certificates or a Certificate of Expected Graduation, bearing the stamp of the university.
(1) Graduating students of master’s degree programs should provide a Certificate of Expected Graduation. They should obtain their master’s degree certificate before their entry to XMU in September of the academic year.
(2) Degree certificates obtained outside the Chinese Mainland should be notarized by the local notary public office.
(3) The originals of the degree certificates and notarized documents should be made available for verification upon enrolment at XMU.
5. Academic transcripts for both bachelor's and master’s degree studies, bearing the official stamp of the university.
(1) Graduating students of master’s programs should provide a complete set of academic transcripts for their bachelor’s degree studies, as well as academic transcripts for each year of master’s degree studies to date.
(2) Master’s degree holders should submit a complete set of academic transcripts for both their bachelor’s and master’s degree studies.
(3) The results report of internationally accepted or standardized tests, e.g., GRE/GMAT/LSAT. XMU's DI Code for GRE is 4692.
6. Study or research plan
The Plan should be no less than 1,000 words, written in Chinese when applying for Chinese-medium programs and written in English when applying for English-medium programs.
Applicants for School of Economics, Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics, or Gregory and Paula Chow Center for Economics Research, please refer to【Writing Guidance】SOP.pdf.
7. Two Letters of Recommendation from professors or associate professors in Chinese or English with information of the recommender’s names, employer and work position, either signed by the recommender or bearing the stamp of the recommending organization.
8. Supervisor Pre-acceptance Letter (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1969.htm). Priority of admission will be given to applicants have accquired the pre-acceptance letter signed by the supervisor and stamped by the college.
9. Language proficiency certificate.
(1) Chinese proficiency requirements for Chinese-medium programs
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine are required to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of new HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants who have taken all courses in Chinese during their previous degree studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, but a Chinese-as-medium-of-instruction certificate from the University should be furnished.
(2) English proficiency requirements for English-medium programs
Applicants should present a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS (academic) certificate with an overall score of 6.0 or above. XMU's DI Code for TOEFL is C310. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their previous degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a English-as-medium-of-instruction certificate from the university should be furnished. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.
10. CV, written in Chinese or English.
11. Physical Examination Record for Inbound Travellers (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1745.htm), including chest X ray image, electrocardiogram, laboratory exam results and data sheets of some required items, completed in Chinese or English, with the lower part of the applicant’s photo stamped by the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
12. Financial Support Guarantee Statement (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1744.htm) and its supporting documents completed in Chinese or English, certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China. The Statement should be accompanied by a copy of the financial sponsor’s valid passport or identification certificate. Applicants for scholarships are not exempt from this requirement.
13. Certificate of No Criminal Record. The applicants shall submit a valid Certificate of No Criminal Record, usually within 6 months before the date of submission of the application.
14. Other supporting documents, such as abstracts of published papers, academic activities, merit or internship certificates, may be submitted in the “Other Supporting Materials” section in the application system as well.
1. After the application is submitted, the applicant will not be able to modify the application information or application materials. Therefore, before submitting your application, please check carefully to ensure that the information and materials submitted are comprehensive, true and complete. Applications with inaccuracies or omissions will not be accepted by the University. Action for misconduct will be taken according to XII. Monitoring, complaints and action for misconduct.
2. If any forms, documents and certificates used in the application are in languages other than English or Chinese, they should be accompanied by a notarized translation into Chinese or English in addition to the original documents. It is recommended that these documents and their translations be notarized at the Chinese embassy (consulate) in your home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists of more than one page; alternatively, stamp on each page of the document.
3. In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, the University reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
V. Academic Programs
1. Chinese-medium Programs:
Most doctoral programs are taught in Chinese. Please refer to XMU Chinese-Medium Doctoral Programs on Offer for 2023 Entry
2. English-medium Programs:
As part of its international outreach initiative, XMU offers several English-medium doctoral programs to high-achieving international students. XMU has a team of high-caliber professors, many of whom hold doctorates from overseas universities and can advise doctoral students in English. Please refer to XMU English-Medium Doctoral Programs on Offer for 2023 Entry
VI. Admission and Selection
1. Verification of qualifications
There will be a comprehensive review of the applicant’s foreign citizenship, highest degree diploma, academic performance, language proficiency, research plan, recommendations and physical and mental health.
2. Academic assessment
For applicants who pass the verification of qualifications, the related college or school will conduct academic assessment, including evaluation of the application documents and a remote interview or written examination of the applicant if he or she has passed the evaluation. The academic assessment focuses on the applicant’s academic capabilities, communicative competence, overall merit, etc.
3. The admission decision will be based on the verification of the applicant’s qualifications and academic assessment results, as well as their program choices.
Applicants should log onto the online application system regularly for notifications and the progress of application status, and keep their phones open and check their email accounts regularly. The outcome of application will be published on the application system of the Admissions Office in June or July. Admission Notices and Student Visa Application Forms (JW201/202) for successful applicants will be mailed out starting in July or August.
VII. Length of Program, Duration of Study and Conferral of Degree
1. Length of program: 4 years
2. Maximum duration of study (including suspension and retainment of student status): 8 years
Time of enrolment: Autumn, usually in September
Doctoral students will be permitted to graduate and awarded a graduation certificate by XMU after they have earned all the credits required, completed all mandatory courses prescribed in the academic scheme, passed the graduation (degree) dissertation defense, and satisfied the moral, intellectual and physical requirements for graduation within the duration of study prescribed by XMU. Those who have also satisfied the requirements for degree conferral will be conferred a doctoral degree by XMU.
VIII. Application Fee
RMB 400 (payable upon signing up online, non-refundable)
IX. Tuition Fee
1. Chinese-medium programs
(1) Humanities: RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
(2) Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 34,000 per year, RMB 102,000 in total.
2. English-medium programs
(1) Humanities: RMB 42,000 per year, RMB 126,000 in total;
(2) Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 55,000 per year, RMB 165,000 in total.
1. The duration of PhD programs at Xiamen University is four years. Tuition fees are payable for the first three years of study, and are waived for the fourth year of study.
2. Tuition fees are payable in RMB by academic year and do not include textbook fees.
3. Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
X. Other Expenses
(1) International student apartments are available on Siming and Xiang’an campuses. The apartments on Siming campus each have a twin room, while the apartments on Xiang’an campus are in suites, with each suite consisting of four twin rooms. Each room is equipped with beds, desks and chairs, wardrobes, an air conditioner, a water heater, a bathroom (suites have a different bathroom arrangement), and Internet access (for a fee). Communal self-service washers and dryers and other equipment are available.
(2) Due to the limited availability of on-campus accommodation, priority will be given to students who are recipients of scholarships that include subsidies for on-campus accommodation.
(3) Surplus accommodation will be allotted to students who are recipients of scholarships with no subsidies for accommodation and to self-funded students. Students with on-campus accommodation can live in on-campus housing until June 30 of the academic year. The accommodation fees range from RMB 30 to RMB 70 per person per day on Siming campus, and from RMB 1,600 to RMB 4,000 per academic year per person on Xiang’an campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year.
(4) International students with on-campus accommodation are expected to pay for their water and electricity consumption. For rates and charges as well as payment methods, please refer to the Enrollment Instructions for New Students. For enquiries, call +86 (0)592 2180501 (Siming campus), or +86 (0)592 2886252 (Xiang’an campus).
(5) Students who cannot obtain on-campus accommodation are expected to arrange for their own off-campus accommodation before their arrival. The monthly rental of an apartment room near Siming campus is around RMB 2,500.
(6) Recipients of Chinese Government Scholarships or International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarships that cover on-campus accommodation expenses can apply for an accommodation subsidy if they give up free on-campus accommodation and choose to live off campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year.
2. Living Cost: Around RMB 1000-1500 per month.
3. Medical Insurance: For the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education and Xiamen University, international students are required to purchase medical insurance for an annual fee of RMB 800. Please refer to the enrolment instructions for detailed information of medical insurance.
4. For more information about accommodation, insurance or scholarship Stipend, please consult Overseas Students Affairs Office (OSAO, Tel:+ 86 (0)592 2183606, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org).
5. Xiamen University strictly follows tuition policies of the government. Fee charging shall be carried on in accordance with regulations stipulated in the admission guidances. Do not trust any school fee payment notice other than the admission guidances and the enrollment instructions.
XI. Scholarship Application and Evaluation
(I) Chinese Government Scholarship Programs in Category A
Full or partial scholarships are available based on educational cooperation and exchange agreements or consensus reached between China and relevant governments, institutions, universities and international organizations.
1. Chinese Government Scholarships – Country-Specific Bilateral Program (Full or Partial Scholarships)
Applicants who are eligible for the “Chinese Government Scholarship – Country-Specific Bilateral Program” can apply to their home country’s international student dispatching department or the education office of the Chinese embassy (consulate) in their home country. In general, the application period is from January to early April every year. However, application deadlines may vary from country to country. Please follow the updates of the local Chinese embassy (consulate).
2. ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship (ACYLS) (Full Scholarship)
This scholarship provides financial support for young professionals with work experience who are from ASEAN member countries and who are studying for a master’s or doctoral degree, receiving short-term advanced training, or participating in short-term group training programs. Applicants can apply to the ACYLS national focal points from early January to early April.
(II) Chinese Government Scholarship Programs in Category B
This is a full scholarship intended to finance the study of high-achieving young international students in China which have been directedly selected and recruited by designated Chinese universities. Eligible applicants should submit their applications for admission and scholarships through the XMU application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the prospectus; they should also register on the “Chinese Government Scholarship Information System” (studyinchina.csc.edu.cn; Agency No. XMU: 10384).
1. Chinese Government Scholarship University Programs
Xiamen University, as an enrolling institution under the Chinese Government Scholarship Programs, admits students (mainly master’s and doctoral students) from around the world who are recipients of such scholarships. XMU will submits information on such students to the China Scholarship Council for approval.
2. Chinese Government Marine Scholarship
This scholarship is open to international students from countries around the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean and on the Pacific Rim and islands, as well as from developing countries in Africa and the Americas, who wish to come to China to pursue a master’s or doctoral degree in a marine-related field. Preference will be given to those working in the marine industry or other related industries.
(III) PhD Fellowship under the China Studies Program
This fellowship is intended to support the training of doctoral students in the fields of Sinology and China studies, in relation to training programs in China, cooperation for international academic seminars, promotion of translation and publication of works in related fields, and promotion of scholarly exchange and cooperation. Within the application period specified in the admissions prospectus, eligible applicants may submit their applications for admission and the fellowship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) and log onto the China Studies Program PhD fellowship system (ccsp.chinese.cn), indicating Xiamen University as the institution of choice.
(IV) Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarship
This scholarship was set up by Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation in 2017 as part of its efforts to foster the Tan Kah Kee spirit in entrepreneurship and dedication to education. The scholarship is open to international students of Chinese descent from countries along the Maritime Silk Road who wish to study in bachelor’s, master’s or PhD programs. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
(V) Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students
XMU itself offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates. Scholarship recipients will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 or 5 years for bachelor’s degree programs, 2 or 3 years for master’s degree programs, 4 years for doctoral degree programs). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
(VI) Fujian Provincial Government Scholarship for International Students
The Scholarship is open to international students who wish to study in degree programs in Fujian Province. It is available only for one academic year and amounts to RMB 30,000 for undergraduates, RMB 40,000 for master’s students and RMB 50,000 for doctoral students. The University will select the best candidates from the pool of students who have passed the annual review. The shortlisted students will be recommended for the renewal of the scholarship in the subsequent year. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
1. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship and so please refer to the latest version of application guide on the XMU Admissions Web.
2. In line with XMU’s Guidelines on Selecting Candidates for International Students Scholarships, the University will follow the principle of formality, equality and impartiality and select the best candidates from the pool of qualified and admitted students. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the university authorities and the relevant scholarship management institutions for final approval. The scholarship recipients will be assessed on an annual basis in accordance with the relevant scholarship regulations and only those meeting the required standards will have their scholarship renewed for the subsequent year. Those who fail in the review will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
XII. Monitoring and Complaints
1. Required by the competent department, the information related to application and admission will be published on XMU Admissions Web (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn) or websites of relevant schools. Beware of any fake news from other sources.
2. Under the guidance of the University’s Student Recruitment Leadership Group, XMU’s international student recruitment is jointly conducted by the XMU Admissions Office and the relevant schools/colleges and is subject to the monitoring of the XMU Supervision Division (Tel: +86 (0)592 2186219).
3. Applicants are responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the information and documents they have submitted. New students’ admission qualifications will be rechecked upon their entry to XMU. Failure to meet the admission regulations for international students or any falsification or misrepresentation, whenever it is confirmed, will result in disqualification of application, enrollment, student status, graduation and degrees awarded in accordance with the regulations of the educational authorities and the University.
XIII. Contact Information
XMU Admissions Office (Degreed International Students Recruitment)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792, 2188375
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
XMU Overseas Students Affairs Office (International Students Registration and Management)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2183606
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2186589
HSK Test – Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0)592 2187478
Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
★The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. The Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.