The Ph.D. Fellowships of China Studies Program were established by the Center for Language Education and Cooperation, which united with China's top universities and outstanding scholars, and is committed to providing opportunities and support to overseas young scholars and doctoral programs for studying in China. The program includes the Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship and the Ph.D. in China Fellowship. Xiamen University is one of the 18 Chinese host universities.
Xiamen University (XMU), founded in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, was the first Chinese university established by an overseas Chinese person. XMU has long been listed among China’s leading universities on the national 211 Project, 985 Project and Double First-Class Initiative, which have been launched by the Chinese government to support selected universities in achieving world-class standing. Nestled snugly between green hills and the blue sea, XMU is renowned as one of the most beautiful universities around the world for its excellent education facilities and beautiful environment.
Xiamen University currently comprises Siming Campus, Zhangzhou Campus, Xiang’an Campus and XMU Malaysia. XMU consists of a graduate school, six academic divisions, 33 schools and 16 research institutes. In 2022, six XMU disciplines – education, chemistry, marine science, biology, ecology and statistics – were included in the nation's list of disciplines for achieving world-class status. XMU ranks among ESI’s global top 1% in 19 disciplines, with chemistry, materials science and engineering in ESI’s global top 1‰. XMU currently has a faculty of nearly 3,000, of whom 74.3% are full or associate professors. Among them, 32 are the members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. XMU currently has an enrollment of more than 44,000 students, including over 20,000 students in bachelor’s degree programs, 18,000 in master’s degree programs, and 5,000 in doctoral degree programs.
XMU implements a comprehensive global outreach strategy. The University has signed cooperation agreements with 259 overseas universities. Actively involved in international Chinese education, XMU has built 14 Confucius Institutes and 48 Confucius Classrooms in 12 countries on five continents, the highest numbers with the most extensive geographic coverage among Chinese universities on the List of “Double First-Class” Universities. In July 2014, XMU Malaysia broke ground, making XMU the first Chinese university to open an international campus, hailed as a jewel on the crown of the “Belt and Road Initiative”.
The majority of financial support is provided through support for specific research and other projects in designated academic areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. For detailed information of research topics and supervisors, please refer to Introduction to Ph.D. Fellowship of China Studies Program (http://www.chinese.cn/page/#/pcpage/csp).
Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship: This program funds overseas outstanding doctoral students registered in foreign universities coming to China for study, research and writing of their doctoral dissertations, for one semester or no more than two academic years.
Ph. D. Fellowship in China: This program supports overseas outstanding master's degree holders in pursuing doctoral degrees at Chinese universities. It is 4 years according to the university's academic requirements.
2. Subsistence allowance and research allowance
3. 1 round-trip international travel per year (economy class, reimbursement based on actual expenses)
4. Medical and accidental insurance premiums during your stay in China
5. Collective activities and cultural experiences
6. The joint reaserch PH. D. program also includes international round-trip travel (economy class) to China for foreign supervisors.
7. After graduation, you will have priority for gaining support from other projects within the "China Studies Program", such as the publication of doctoral dissertations or translations, further study in China, and opportunities to participate in international academic conferences.
1. The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health.
2. Those who aspire to engage in China-related research in humanities and social sciences and have solid academic foundations, a targeted research topic or goal, and the ability to conduct research in Chinese, with preference given to those with excellent Chinese language proficiency under the same conditions. Specifically as follows:
(1) Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship: Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǎoshì (HSK) Level 3 or above; Officially registered doctoral students in regular foreign universities.
(2) Ph. D. Fellowship in China: Hànyǔ Shuǐpíng Kǎoshì (HSK) Level 5 with 210 scores or above; A graduate with master's degree, or a fresh graduate of master's degree.
Note: Applicants for English-medium programs should also meet the Chinese proficiency requirements above besides the English proficiency requirements of XMU English-medium programs.
3. Requirements in Prospectus for Admission to Doctoral Programs of Xiamen University (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/Admissions/Doctoral_students.htm).
4. Applicants who are currently participating in other Scholarship are not eligible to apply for this Plan.
IV. Application Time & Procedures
1. Applicants are required to log into the CSP Application System (http://www.chinese.cn/page/#/pcpage/csp), complete the online application, choosing Xiamen University as the host university before February 28, 2023 and mail the original application form and all other materials (in English and Chinese) as required to Center for Language Education and Cooperation.
2. Applicants should also submit the online application on the International Student Application System of Xiamen University (http://application.xmu.edu.cn) before February 28, 2023. Usually no hard copies of application materials are required by Xiamen University.
(1) Application category for the Joint Research Ph.D. Fellowship: "exchange student - senior scholar".
Documents to be uploaded: proof of enrollment in a PhD program, abstract of master's thesis or other research results, doctoral dissertation abstract, study plan during your stay in China and other documents required by the system.
(2) Application category for the Ph. D. Fellowship in China: "doctoral degree programs".
Documents to be uploaded: those required in Prospectus for Admission to Doctoral Programs of Xiamen University.
Note: Applicants should finish online application on both systems above. Late applications will not be accepted.
V. Selection and Notification
1. Candidates' qualifications will be assessed by Xiamen University.
2. Candidates, who pass Xiamen University's assessment, will have assessment and video interview conducted by expert committee of center for language education and cooperation.
3. The final results will be published.
VI. Contact Information
1. Center for Language Education and Cooperation
Tel: +86 (0)10 58595771
Fax: +86 (0)10 58595762
Address: 129 Deshengmenwai Street, Xicheng District, Beijing, 100088, China
2. Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792, 2188375
Fax: +86 (0)592 2180256
VII. More Information
1. The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.
2. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship or the requirements of the university. So please refer to the latest version of application guide.
For other information, please visit:
Prospectus for Admission to Doctoral Programs of Xiamen University:
Ph.D. Fellowships of China Studies Program: