Xiamen University (XMU), founded in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, is a comprehensive institution of higher education directly affiliated with China’s Ministry of Education. In 2017, XMU was included in the list of Type A universities designated by the Chinese Government to achieve world-class standing. The University was placed among the world’s top 400 institutions in various authoritative world university rankings, such as THE, QS, US News and ARWU.
Currently, the University has a total enrollment of approximately 40,000 students, including 20,651 in bachelor’s degree programs, 16,712 in master’s degree programs and 4,737 in doctoral degree programs, with 1,208 international students in degree programs. Students enjoy a world-class intellectual environment on a campus nestled snugly between the hills and the sea and known for its top-notch faculty and first-class facilities. They form a vibrant and essential part of the XMU community.
Over the years, XMU has forged partnerships with more than 250 higher-learning institutions in the U.K., the U.S., Japan, France, Russia and engaged in substantive cooperation with 50 of the world’s top 200 universities. Moreover, the University operates 14 Confucius Institutes in North America, Europe, Asia and Africa. In February 2016, Xiamen University Malaysia (XMUM) welcomed its first cohort of students. As one of the nation’s leading institutions of higher education, XMU is committed to developing the intellectual and personal strengths of its students.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens generally under the age of 45 (as of September 1, 2022), be mentally and pysically healthy, and possess a valid regular passport.
Note: Foreign citizens of Chinese origin, including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenship, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens, will be subject to a preliminary review of citizenship status by XMU during the admission stage, and to verification of citizenship by the entry and exit administration department of China’s public security authorities. Applicants who fail to pass the preliminary review or verification of citizenship will be deemed to have voluntarily relinquished their eligibility for admission, as well as the subsequent academic registration that they may obtain.
2. Applicants should be a graduating student of a bachelor’s degree program or hold a bachelor's degree or above.
II. Application Timeline: January 1 – March 31, 2022 (24:00, Beijing Time; late applications will not be accepted)
III. Application Procedures
Applicants should apply and pay the application fee through the XMU online application system for international students at .
Note: Applicants for School of Economics (SOE) and Wang Yanan Institute for Studies (WISE) in Economics are suggested to have the pre-sceening by SOE and WISE: https://imwise.xmu.edu.cn/Admissions___Scholarships_/Admissions.htm
IV. Application Documents
Applicants must fill in the application information truthfully in Chinese or English in the application system and upload the following application documents:
1. A scanned copy of the first page of the passport (regular passport, valid through October 31, 2022).
Note: Applicants in the category marked in the “Application Requirements”, depending on their citizenship status, should follow the instructions in the application system to upload the documents required for the preliminary review of citizenship status and bring the relevant paper documents to XMU when enrolling; failure to do so will affect registration and citizenship verification.
2. Birth certificate
3. Parents’ identity documents
4. Bachelor’s degree certificates or a Certificate of Expected Graduation, bearing the stamp of the university.
(1) Bachelor’s degree certificates should be certified by the Ministry of Education or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the issuing country, or via the online service system (http://zwfw.cscse.edu.cn/) operated by the Overseas Education Service Center of China’s Ministry of Education.
(2) Graduating students of bachelor’s degree programs should provide a Certificate of Expected Graduation. They should obtain their bachelor’s degree certificate before their entry to XMU in September 2022.
(3) No certification is required for degree certificates obtained in the Chinese Mainland (excluding Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan).
(4) The originals of the degree certificates and certification documents should be made available for verification upon enrolment at XMU.
5. Academic transcripts for bachelor's degree studies, bearing the official stamp of the university.
(1) Graduating students of bachelor’s programs should provide academic transcripts for each year of bachelor’s degree studies to date.
(2) Bachelor’s degree holders should submit a complete set of academic transcripts for their bachelor’s degree studies.
(3) The results report of internationally accepted or standardized tests, e.g., GRE/GMAT/LSAT. XMU's DI Code for GRE is 4692.
6. Study or research plan
The Plan should be no less than 1,000 words, written in Chinese when applying for Chinese-medium programs and written in English when applying for English-medium programs.
7. Two Letters of Recommendation signed by professors or associate professors, written in Chinese or English.
8. Language proficiency certificate.
(1) Chinese proficiency requirements for Chinese-medium programs
Applicants for programs in the humanities, economics, management, law, arts and traditional Chinese medicine are required to have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants for programs in sciences, engineering and medicine should have a certificate of new HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above. Applicants who have taken all courses in Chinese during their previous degree studies are exempt from the HSK certificate requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the high school should be furnished.
(2) English proficiency requirements for English-medium programs
Applicants should present a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS (academic) certificate with an overall score of 6.0 or above. XMU's DI Code for TOEFL is C310. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their previous degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the high shool should be furnished. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.
9. CV, written in Chinese or English.
10. Physical Examination Record for Inbound Travellers, completed in Chinese or English, bearing the official stamp of the hospital. Physical examination results are valid for 6 months.
11. Financial Support Guarantee Statement and its supporting documents completed in Chinese or English, certifying that the applicant has sufficient funds to cover his or her tuition, accommodation, living expenses and international travels during his or her study in China. Only the applicant himself/herself or his/her family can act as a financial sponsor. The Statement should be accompanied by a copy of the financial sponsor’s valid passport or identification certificate. Applicants for scholarships are not exempt from this requirement.
12. Certificate of No Criminal Record. The applicants shall submit a valid Certificate of No Criminal Record issued by the local police, usually within 6 months before the date of submission of the application.
13. Other supporting documents, such as abstracts of published papers, academic activities, merit or internship certificates, may be submitted in the “Other Supporting Materials” section in the application system as well.
(1) After the application is submitted, the applicant will not be able to modify the application information or application materials. Therefore, before submitting your application, please check carefully to ensure that the information and materials submitted are comprehensive, true and complete. Applications with inaccuracies or omissions will not be accepted by the University.
(2) If any forms, documents and certificates used in the application are in languages other than English or Chinese, they should be accompanied by a notarized translation into Chinese or English in addition to the original documents. It is recommended that these documents and their translations be notarized at the Chinese embassy (consulate) in your home country. Please stamp on the edges of all sheets with part of the impression on each sheet if the document consists of more than one page; alternatively, stamp on each page of the document.
(3) In general, there is no need to mail original hard-copy materials through courier service. However, under extraordinary circumstances, the University reserves the rights to require applicants to mail original hard-copy documents for further review and identification. No application materials will be returned, regardless of the outcome of the application.
V. Academic Programs
For the master's degree programs on offer for 2022 entry (including the contact information of coordinators at schools or colleges), please visit https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/Programs/Chinese_Medium_Master_s.htm.
1. Chinese-medium Programs:
2. English-medium Programs
As an internationalization initiative, XMU currently offers several English-medium master’s degree programs to international students. These two-year programs are taught in English and aim to bring forth high-level international specialists with a solid professional foundation and a strong understanding of Chinese society and culture.
School of Law
Civil and Commercial Law
Fiscal and Tax Law
Research School for Southeast Asian Studies
Coastal and Ocean Management Institute
College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
School of Economics
Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics
Institute for Financial and Accounting Studies
Note: If the number of admitted students is less than 5, XMU will advise applicants to change their program choice.
VI. Admission and Selection
1. Verification of qualification
There will be a comprehensive review of the applicant’s foreign citizenship, highest degree diploma, academic performance, language proficiency, research plan, recommendations and physical and mental health.
2. Academic assessment
For applicants who pass the verification of qualifications, the related college or school will conduct academic assessment, including evaluation of the application documents and a remote interview or written examination of the applicant if he or she has passed the evaluation. The academic assessment focuses on the applicant’s academic capabilities, communicative competence, overall merit, etc.
3. The admission decision will be based on the verification of the applicant’s qualifications and academic assessment results, as well as their program choices.
Applicants should log onto the online application system regularly for notifications and the progress of application status, and keep their phones open and check their email accounts regularly. The outcome of application will be published on the application system of the Admissions Office in June. Admission Notices and Student Visa Application Forms for successful applicants will be mailed out starting in July.
VII. Length of program, duration of study and conferral of degree
1.Chinese-medium programs: 3 years;
2.Chinese-medium MTCSOL (Professional Degree) and English-medium international master’s degree programs: 2 years;
3. Maximum duration of study (including suspension and retainment of student status): 5 years
Time of enrolment: Autumn, usually in September
Graduate students will be permitted to graduate and awarded a graduation certificate by XMU after they have earned all the credits required, completed all mandatory courses prescribed in the academic scheme, passed the graduation (degree) thesis defense, and satisfied the moral, intellectual and physical requirements for graduation within the duration of study prescribed by XMU. Those who have also satisfied the requirements for degree conferral will be conferred a master’s degree by XMU.
VIII. Application Fee:
RMB 400 (payable upon signing-up online; non-refundable)
IX. Tuition Fee
1. Chinese-medium programs
(1) Humanities: RMB 26,000 per year, RMB 78,000 in total.
(2) Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
(3) MTCSOL (Professional Degree): RMB 30,000 per year, RMB 60,000 in total.
2. English-medium programs
(1) Humanities: RMB 39,000 per year, RMB 78,000 in total.
(2) Sciences, Engineering, Medicine, Economics, Management, Law and Arts: RMB 45,000 per year, RMB 90,000 in total.
Note: Tuition fees are payable in RMB by academic year and do not include textbook fees. Tuition fees are subject to change without prior notice upon approval by price regulators.
X. Study Expenses
(1) International student apartments are available on Siming and Xiang’an campuses. The apartments on Siming campus each have a twin room, while the apartments on Xiang’an campus are in suites, with each suite consisting of four twin rooms. Each room is equipped with beds, desks and chairs, wardrobes, an air conditioner, a water heater, a bathroom (suites have a different bathroom arrangement), and Internet access (for a fee). Communal self-service washers and dryers and other equipment are available.
(2) Due to the limited availability of on-campus accommodation, priority will be given to students who are recipients of scholarships that include subsidies for on-campus accommodation.
(3) Surplus accommodation will be allotted to students who are recipients of scholarships with no subsidies for accommodation and to self-funded students. Students with on-campus accommodation can live in on-campus housing until June 30 of the academic year. The accommodation fees range from RMB 30 to RMB 70 per person per day on Siming campus, and from RMB 1,600 to RMB 4,000 per academic year per person on Xiang’an campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year.
(4) International students with on-campus accommodation are expected to pay for their water and electricity consumption. For rates and charges as well as payment methods, please refer to the Enrollment Instructions for New Students. For enquiries, call +86 (0)592 2180501 (Siming campus), or +86 (0)592 2886252 (Xiang’an campus).
(5) Students who cannot obtain on-campus accommodation are expected to arrange for their own off-campus accommodation before their arrival. The monthly rental of an apartment room near Siming campus is around RMB 2,500.
(6) Recipients of Chinese Government Scholarships or International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarships that cover on-campus accommodation expenses can apply for an accommodation subsidy if they give up free on-campus accommodation and choose to live off campus. Please refer to the updated notice for the year. For enquiries, call + 86 (0)592 2183606.
2. Living Cost: Around RMB 1000-1500 per month.
3. Medical Insurance: For the safety of international students in China, according to the regulations of the Chinese Ministry of Education and Xiamen University, international students are required to purchase medical insurance for an annual fee of RMB 800. Please refer to the enrolment instructions for detailed information of medical insurance.
For details of the following scholarship programs, please visit the “Scholarship Programs” on our International Student Admissions website.
(I) Chinese Government Scholarships
Full Scholarship Coverage: tuition fees, free university dormitory or accommodation subsidy, stipend and Comprehensive medical insurance. Partial scholarship covers one or several items listed above.
1. Chinese Government Scholarship Programs in Category A
Full or partial scholarships are available based on educational cooperation and exchange agreements or consensus reached between China and relevant governments, institutions, universities and international organizations.
(1) Chinese Government Scholarships – Country-Specific Bilateral Program (Full or Partial Scholarships)
Applicants who are eligible for the “Chinese Government Scholarship – Country-Specific Bilateral Program” can apply to their home country’s international student dispatching department or the education office of the Chinese embassy (consulate) in their home country. In general, the application period is from January to early April every year. However, application deadlines may vary from country to country. Please follow the updates of the local Chinese embassy (consulate).
(2) MOFCOM Scholarship (full scholarship)
The scholarship mainly sponsors qualified students from recipient countries to pursue their postgraduate degree education in China. Applicants can apply through the Economic and Commercial Counselor's Office (ECCO) of the Chinese Embassy in their country before the end of May.
(3) ASEAN-China Young Leaders Scholarship (ACYLS) (Full Scholarship)
This scholarship provides financial support for young professionals with work experience who are from ASEAN member countries and who are studying for a master’s or doctoral degree, receiving short-term advanced training, or participating in short-term group training programs. Applicants can apply to the ACYLS national focal points from early January to early April.
2. Chinese Government Scholarship Programs in Category B
This is a full scholarship intended to finance the study of high-achieving young international students in China which have been directedly selected and recruited by designated Chinese universities. Eligible applicants should submit their applications for admission and scholarships through the XMU application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the prospectus; they should also register on the “Chinese Government Scholarship Information System” (studyinchina.csc.edu.cn; Agency No. XMU: 10384).
(1) Chinese Government Scholarship University Programs
Xiamen University, as an enrolling institution under the Chinese Government Scholarship Programs, admits students (mainly master’s and doctoral students) from around the world who are recipients of such scholarships. XMU will submits information on such students to the China Scholarship Council for approval.
(2) Sino-U.S. Dedicated Scholarship for Students in Degree Programs
This scholarship is open to U.S. students who wish to come to China to study for a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree.
(3) Chinese Government Marine Scholarship
This scholarship is open to international students from countries around the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean and on the Pacific Rim and islands, as well as from developing countries in Africa and the Americas, who wish to come to China to pursue a master’s or doctoral degree in a marine-related field. Preference will be given to those working in the marine industry or other related industries.
(II) International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship for MTCSOL (full scholarship)
The Center for Language Education And Cooperation (CLEC) have launched this scholarship program with a view to encouraging students and Chinese language teachers from all over the world to study or conduct research on the Chinese language and culture. The scholarship is offered to applicants for Master of Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL). Applicants should contact Confucius Institutes, independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, or Chinese embassies (consulates) in their home countries for recommendation. Eligible applicants should submit their applications for admission and scholarships through the XMU application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the prospectus; they should also register on the “International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Application System” (cis.chinese.cn).
(III) Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Scholarship
This scholarship was set up by Xiamen Tan Kah Kee Education Foundation in 2017 as part of its efforts to foster the Tan Kah Kee spirit in entrepreneurship and dedication to education. The scholarship is open to international students of Chinese descent from countries along the Maritime Silk Road who wish to study in bachelor’s, master’s or PhD programs. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
(IV) Xiamen University Scholarship for New International Students
XMU itself offers scholarships to doctoral, master’s and undergraduate candidates. Scholarship recipients will have their tuitions covered (a maximum of 4 or 5 years for bachelor’s degree programs, 2 or 3 years for master’s degree programs, 4 years for doctoral degree programs). Moreover, XMU provides monthly living allowances for outstanding master’s or doctoral candidates in accordance with the standards of Chinese Government Scholarships. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
(V) Fujian Provincial Government Scholarship for International Students
The Scholarship is open to international students who wish to study in degree programs in Fujian Province. It is available only for one academic year and amounts to RMB 30,000 for undergraduates, RMB 40,000 for master’s students and RMB 50,000 for doctoral students. The University will select the best candidates from the pool of students who have passed the annual review. The shortlisted students will be recommended for the renewal of the scholarship in the subsequent year. Applicants should submit their applications for admission and the scholarship through our application system for international students (application.xmu.edu.cn) within the application period specified in the admission prospectus.
In line with XMU’s Guidelines on Selecting Candidates for International Students Scholarships, the University will follow the principle of formality, equality and impartiality and select the best candidates from the pool of qualified and admitted students. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the university authorities and the relevant scholarship management institutions for final approval.
The scholarship recipients will be assessed on an annual basis in accordance with the relevant scholarship regulations and only those meeting the required standards will have their scholarship renewed for the subsequent year. Those who fail in the review will no longer be eligible for the scholarship.
XII. Monitoring, complaints and action for misconduct
1. Under the guidance of the University’s Student Recruitment Leadership Group, XMU’s international student recruitment is jointly conducted by the XMU Admissions Office and the relevant schools/colleges and is subject to the monitoring of the XMU Supervision Division. The Supervision Division can be reached on +86 (0)592 2180299.
2. Applicants are responsible for the truthfulness and accuracy of the information and documents they have submitted. New students’ admission qualifications will be rechecked upon their entry to XMU. Failure to meet the admission regulations for international students or any falsification or misrepresentation will result in disqualification of enrollment in accordance with the regulations of the educational authorities and the University.
XIII. Contact information
XMU Admissions Office (International Students Recruitment)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2184792, 2188375 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2180256
XMU Overseas Students Affairs Office (International Students Registration and Management)
Tel: +86 (0)592 2183606 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2186589
HSK Test – Xiamen University Test Centre
Tel: +86 (0)592 2187478 Fax: +86 (0) 592 2093346
★The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. The Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.