Home > Help > FAQs

I. General

1. Do international students need to take a unified entrance examination?

A: Currently not. For those applicants who pass the verification of qualification, the related college or school will take a video interview assessment (via Skype), focuses on the students' language communication skills, academic abilities, overall merit, etc. Please refer to related college or school's phone or email notification for the interview procedure.

2. Which programs are available in XMU?


(1) Bachelor's Programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16885/list.htm

(2) Master's Programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16886/list.htm

(3) Doctoral Programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16887/list.htm

3. Campus location and accommodation arrangements?

A: All international students of the Overseas Education College, School of Medicine, School of Pharmaceutical Sciences, School of Public Health, School of Aerospace Engineering, School of Life Sciences, College of Oceanography and Earth Sciences, Coastal and Ocean Management Institute, College of Environment and Ecology, and College of Energy study on Xiang'an Campus. International bachelor's students of School of Information, and international bachelor's and master's students of College of Electronic Science and Technology also study on Xiang'an Campus. Other international students study on Siming Campus.

(1) On-Siming Campus: Students need to apply for the housing. 4-person rooms cost about RMB 8 to RMB 50 per day. 1-2 person rooms cost about RMB 50 to RMB 60 per day.

(2) Off-Siming Campus: About RMB 2,500/month.

(3) On-Xiang'an Campus: About RMB 2,000-4,000/year.

Note: Students who live on campus are required to pay the water and electricity fees in accordance with the University's regulations. Details related to the charging ways and standards, please refer to the latest notice.

4. Application deadlines for admission?


(1) Bachelor's programs: Feb. 1 to Apr. 30;

(2) Master's and doctoral programs: Feb. 1 to Apr. 15;

(2) Exchange programs: Feb.1 to Mar. 1; Sept. 1 to Oct. 1.

5. Eligibility?

A: Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens, be in good health, and possess a valid regular passport.

(1) Residents of Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who have emigrated to a foreign country and who are now applying for bachelor's programs in China as international students must have held a valid foreign passport for at least 4 years, and must have actually resided in a foreign country for at least 2 years in the past 4 years (as of April 30, in entry year). (9 months of residence in a foreign country may count as a full year. The dates of the entry and exit stamps in the passport will be followed in the determination of the actual length of foreign residence.)

(2) Foreign citizens of Chinese origin (including former Chinese citizens who have obtained foreign citizenships, as well as the non-Chinese descendants of present or former Chinese citizens) only after being officially recognized by the Division of Exit and Entry Administration of Public Security Bureau as foreign citizens, can they apply for Residence Permit in China and register their academic records as international students. Please refer to the Instructions for Citizenship Certification (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/cn/16975/list.htm) for more information. Those who are not officially recognized as foreign citizens will have their qualification for enrolment revoked.

6. Language proficiency requirements?


(1) For Chinese-medium programs, applicants should submit valid HSK certificate. For programs in Humanities, Economics, Management, Law, Arts and Traditional Chinese Medicine, HSK band 5 with a score of 210 or above is required. For programs in Sciences, Engineering and Medicine, HSK band 4 with a score of 210 or above is required. Applicants whose previous degree programs were taught in Chinese could provide the medium-of-instruction certificate issued by the previous institution as a replacement.

(2) For English-medium programs, valid TOEFL-iBT or IELTS Academic test report is required. Applicants should score at least 80 on TOEFL-iBT, or 6.0 on IELTS Academic. Applicants whose previous degree programs were taught in English could provide the medium-of-instruction certificate issued by the previous institution as a replacement. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.

7. Application procedures?

A: Applicants should apply online and pay the application fee at http://application.xmu.edu.cn.

8. Do I have to pay the application fee online?

A: Yes. We do NOT accept cash, bank transfer or other paying methods. (Note: For exchange students, the application fee is waived.)

9. Do I have to pay a fee for my application for scholarships?

A: Those who apply for scholarships through the University are required to pay their application fees at http://application.xmu.edu.cn.

10. Do applicants for master's and doctoral programs need to contact a supervisor in advance?

A: There is no mandatory requirement in this regard. Applicants who have an interested supervisor should note the supervisor's name in the interested supervisor column on the application form. The email addresses of supervisors are available on the website of each school and college. A supervisor's agreement to supervise your studies is not a guarantee of successful application.

11. Do applicants who have not get diploma or the highest degree certificate when applying have chance to sign up?

A: Applicants who are current students should provide a pre-graduation certificate. Applicants who have provided the certificate should submit a notarized copy of their formal diploma to the XMU's Admissions Office before Sept 1, in entry year. Failure to do so will result in disqualification of enrollment.

12. Foreigner Physical Examination Form?

A: Applicants are required to submit this form when applying. If the applicant is currently in Mainland China, please proceed to local International Travel Healthcare Center to undergo a physical examination, and provide the International Travel Health Examination Certificate issued. If the applicant is currently outside of Mainland China, there is no limit to which hospital carries out the physical examination. The results of the physical examination may be valid for six months only.

13. Intent to learn Chinese

A: Applicants who intend to study Chinese or apply for BA in Chinese Language should directly contact XMU's Overseas Education College (Email: oec@xmu.edu.cn, Tel: 0086-(0)592-2186211, http://oec.xmu.edu.cn).

14. Duty and contact information of relevant offices?

A: Please visit https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/wontactwws/list.htm.

II. Scholarships

1. Can applicants apply for more than one scholarship at the same time?

A: Yes, eligible applicants can apply for more than one scholarship at the same time, but eventually they can only enjoy one scholarship at most.

2. Do I have to pay a fee for my application for scholarships?

A: Those who apply for scholarships through the University are required to pay their application fees at http://application.xmu.edu.cn.

3. Can current students in China apply for the CSC-Chinese University Program?

A: Yes, they can. Chinese University Program typically offers a fixed number of places to current international students in China, and each year, a maximum of 5 places are available. For applications, please check the guidelines for the current year.

4. How to apply for Chinese Government Scholarships?

A: There are several programs under the Chinese Government Scholarships. Generally, there are two ways to apply for the scholarship.

(1) Applicants can submit their applications to XMU's Admissions Office if they are applying for CSC-Chinese University Program, Sino-US Cultural Exchange Scholarship, or Marine Scholarship.

(2) Applicants can submit their applications to a Chinese embassy and consulate if they are applying for CSC-Bilateral Program, MOFCOM Scholarship or ACYLS Scholarship.

5. How to apply for a pre-admission letter as an official candidate of CSC-Bilateral Program?

A: Please visit https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/16883/list.htm.