The Sustainable Coastal Development Scholarship (SCD Scholarship) awards full-ride scholarship to applicants from ASEAN countries to pursue a master/doctoral degree in ocean-related programs at Xiamen University (XMU). The SCD Scholarship, sponsored by Capacity Building Program for Sustainable Coastal Development (SCD Program), intends to remove financial barriers for those who are interested in devoting to the research and practice on sustainable ocean and coastal development or enhancing their capacity in marine governance.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens from ASEAN countries, and in good health physically and mentally.
2. Educational background and age limits (as of September 1 of the academic ):
Master's programs: Holders of Bachelor's degree or above and under the age of 40;
Doctoral programs: Holders of Master's degree or above and under the age of 45.
III. Academic Programs (English-medium)
School of Law
Law of the Sea
College of Ocean and Earth Science
Physical Oceanography, Marine Chemistry, Marine Biology, Marine Geology, Marine Physics, Marine Biotechnology
Coastal and Ocean Management Institute
College of the Environment and Ecology
Environmental Science, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Management, Ecology
IV. Duration of Scholarship
1. Master's programs: 2 years;
2. Doctoral programs: 4 years.
V. Scholarship Quota
4 for doctoral programs and 8 for master programs (to be confirmed)
VI. Scholarship Coverage
1. Tuition fee
2. On-campus accommodation fee
3. Living allowance (RMB 3,000/month for master's programs; RMB 3,500/month for doctoral programs);
4. Comprehensive medical insurance.
Note: Other expenses that occur during your study in China, such as international travel expenses, cost of physical examination, security deposit and utility costs for on-campus accommodation, and cost of course materials, should be borne by the scholarship awardees themselves.
VII. Application Timeline
Dec. 1, 2022 to March 31, 2023
VIII. Application Procedures
Application for the SCD Scholarship will be considered only after the applicant has been admitted to academic programs of Xiamen University listed above.
Applicants shall complete an online application at http://application.xmu.edu.cn and send a scanned copy of the Application Form to the SCD Program at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that you are not required to send a hard copy via mail.
More information about application procedures please click：
Application Guide to Master's Programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/Admissions/Master_s_Students.htm
Application Guide to Doctoral Programs: https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/Admissions/Doctoral_students.htm
IX. Selection and Notification
The SCD Program will conduct a comprehensive review on applicant's professional background, academic record, work experience, language proficiency, overall merits, research achievements and their prospective supervisor's comments and determine the final list of the SCD Scholarship awardees.
X. Contact Information
Capacity Building Program for Sustainable Coastal Development
Contact person: Ms. Phoebe Ye
Tel: 0086 (0)592 2186171
XI. More Information
1. The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.
2. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship or the requirements of our university. Please refer to the latest version of application guide.