Confucius China Study Plan (Fellowships for PhD Programs) 2021
In order to promote the understanding of China and Chinese culture among outstanding young students from around the world, prosper China studies, promote the sustainable development of Confucius Institutes, and foster the friendship between peoples of China and countries, the Confucius Institute Headquarters (the Headquarters) launched the “Confucius China Study Plan” in 2012. Xiamen University is one of the 16 Chinese host universities.
Xiamen University (XMU) was founded in 1921 by Tan Kah Kee, a well-known patriotic overseas Chinese leader. XMU is recognized as a first-class national university with a prestigious international reputation, ranking among the top 20 of the over 2,000 universities and colleges in China. XMU campuses are situated around the Xiamen Bay, commanding a beautiful view of green hills and the blue sea. It boasts the most beautiful campuses in China and even in the world.
1. Joint Research Ph. D Fellowship: to support doctoral students (candidates) registered with foreign universities to come to China for study, research and writing of their doctoral dissertations. The duration of the program ranges from 1 semester to 2 academic years.
2. Ph. D in China Fellowship: to support foreign students to pursue full-time Ph.D. degrees in the humanities and social sciences at Chinese universities. The duration of the program is generally 4 years.
The majority of financial support is provided through support for specific research and other projects in designated academic areas of Humanities and Social Sciences. For detailed information of research topics and supervisors, please login application system (http://ccsp.chinese.cn)to check.
①Tuition and living stipend ;
③Round-trip international airfare(Economy class);
④Expenses for medical insurances in China;
⑤Group activities and cultural experience.
The joint reaserch ph.D. program also includes international roun-trip travel to China by foreign supervisor( Economy class).
• The applicant should be a citizen of non-Chinese nationality in good health;
• Chinese proficiency requirements for Chinese-medium programs
Applicants for the Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship should have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK 4 Level with 210 scores or above. Preference will be given, other qualifications being equal, to candidates with high levels of Chinese proficiency.
Applicants for the Ph.D in China Fellowship should have a Chinese proficiency certificate of new HSK 5 Level with 210 scores or above. Preference will be given, other qualifications being equal, to candidates with high levels of Chinese proficiency.
• English proficiency requirements for English-medium programs
Applicants should present a TOEFL iBT certificate with a score of 80 or above, or an IELTS (academic) certificate with an overall score of 6.0 or above. Applicants who have taken all courses in English during their previous degree studies are exempt from this requirement, but a medium-of-instruction certificate from the university should be furnished. Native English speakers are exempt from this requirement.
Notes: Applicants who are currently participating in other Scholarship are not eligible to apply for this Plan.
IV. Application Documents
Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship: Applicants shall submit their Joint Research Ph.D Fellowship Application Form, Ph.D study certificate, two recommendation letters from experts in the relevant field, HSK transcript, abstract of the Master’s thesis or other academic publications, abstract of doctoral dissertation; a research plan for the study in China; a copy of passport and; evidence of no criminal record. Applicants with a recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute will be given priority over competitors of similar qualifications.
Ph.D in China Fellowship: Applicants shall submit their Ph.D in China Fellowship Application Form, one copy of notarized academic transcripts of undergraduate and postgraduate studies, degree certificate and their Chinese versions respectively, two recommendation letters from relevant experts, HSK transcript, abstract of Master’s thesis or other academic publications, a doctoral research statement and a copy of passport, evidence of no criminal record. Applicants with a recommendation letter from the Confucius Institute will be given priority over competitors of similar qualifications.
1. Degree certificates of bachlor and master should be notarized by education authorities of the issuing country, or via the online service system() operated by the Overseas Education Severice Center of China's Minsitry of Education.
2. Xiamen University currently hosts 15 Confucius Institutes around the world (https://ocia.xmu.edu.cn/kzxy.htm ). Applicants can contact them to get recommendation letters or other Confucius Institutes in their host countries.
V. Application Time: through Feb 28th, 2021
VI. Application Procedure
1. Applicants are required to login to fill in the Application Form and upload the required documents. Xiamen University should be chosen as the host university.
2. Applicants, who pass Xiamen university's enrollment assessment ( the 1st step of application), have to submit another application with an inviatation code (issued by the admissions office in April or May) on international student application system of Xiamen University(
3. Due to Covid-19 pandemic, applicants don't have to mail any application materials to us.
VII. Selection and Notification
1.Candidates’ qualifications will be assessed by Xiamen University.
2.Candidates, who pass Xiamen University's assessment, will have assessment and video interview conducted by expert committee of center for language education and cooperation.
3.Letter of Admission will be mailed by XMU to the recipients of the Fellowship.
VIII. Contact Information
1. Center for Language Education and Cooperation
Tel: +86 (0)10 58595771
Fax: +86 (0)10 58595762
2. Admissions Office of Xiamen University
Tel: +86 (0)592 2188375
Fax: +86 (0)592 2180256
IX. More Information
1. The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.
2. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship or the requirements of our university. So please refer to the latest version of application guide. For other information, please visit:
1. Application guide to Doctoral programs for 2021
2.Confucius China Study Plan (Fellowships for PhD Programs) system: