In 2012, in an effort to further strengthen the educational exchange and cooperation between Fujian Province and the rest of the world, and to promote healthy development of the education for international students, Fujian provincial government set up scholarships for international students studying in degree programs.
Xiamen University (XMU), founded in 1921 by renowned patriotic overseas Chinese leader Mr. Tan Kah Kee, was the first Chinese university established by an overseas Chinese person. XMU has long been listed among China’s leading universities on the national 211 Project, 985 Project and Double First-Class Initiative, which have been launched by the Chinese government to support selected universities in achieving world-class standing. Nestled snugly between green hills and the blue sea, XMU is renowned as one of the most beautiful universities around the world for its excellent education facilities and beautiful environment.
Xiamen University currently comprises Siming Campus, Zhangzhou Campus, Xiang’an Campus and XMU Malaysia. XMU consists of a graduate school, six academic divisions, 33 schools and 16 research institutes. In 2022, six XMU disciplines – education, chemistry, marine science, biology, ecology and statistics – were included in the nation’s list of disciplines for achieving world-class status. XMU ranks among ESI’s global top 1% in 19 disciplines, with chemistry, materials science and engineering in ESI’s global top 1‰. XMU currently has a faculty of nearly 3,000, of whom 74.3% are full or associate professors. Among them, 32 are the members of the Chinese Academy of Sciences or of the Chinese Academy of Engineering. XMU currently has an enrollment of more than 44,000 students, including over 20,000 students in bachelor’s degree programs, 18,000 in master’s degree programs, and 5,000 in doctoral degree programs.
XMU implements a comprehensive global outreach strategy. The University has signed cooperation agreements with 259 overseas universities. Actively involved in international Chinese education, XMU has built 14 Confucius Institutes and 48 Confucius Classrooms in 12 countries on five continents, the highest numbers with the most extensive geographic coverage among Chinese universities on the List of “Double First-Class” Universities. In July 2014, XMU Malaysia broke ground, making XMU the first Chinese university to open an international campus, hailed as a jewel on the crown of the “Belt and Road Initiative”.
1. Applicants must be non-Chinese citizens in good health.
2. Educational background and age limits (as of September 1 of the academic year):
(1) Bachelor's programs: hold a high school diploma or above and be under the age of 30;
(2) Master's programs: hold a bachelor's degree or above and be under the age of 35;
(3) Doctoral programs: hold a master's degree or above and be under the age of 40.
3.Chinese level equivalent to HSK band 3 or above.
III. Academic Programs
Chinese-Medium Bachelor's Programs
English-Medium Bachelor's Programs
Chinese-Medium Master's Programs
English-Medium Master's Programs
Chinese-Medium Doctoral Programs
English-Medium Doctoral Programs
IV. Scholarships Quota (New students): About 20. To be determined.
V. Scholarships Coverage and Duration
1. Standard of scholarships: RMB 30,000/year for bachelor's programs; RMB 40,000/year for master's programs; RMB 50,000/year for doctoral programs.
2. Distribution of scholarships: Scholarships awardees need to first complete registration as a self-supporting new student, and pay all the fees required for study within the stipulated time. The University will return the relevant fees that were originally paid by the recipients in accordance with the scholarships' content in the next Spring.
3. Duration of scholarships: 1 year.
The University will select the best candidates from the pool of students who have passed the review to apply for the scholarship again in the following year. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the Fujian Provincial Department of Education for final approval.
VI. Application Period: Dec. 1,2022 to March 31, 2023.
VIII. Application Procedures
Application for the Scholarships will be considered only after the applicant has been admitted to Xiamen University.
Application Guide to Bachelor's Programs:
Application Guide to Master's Programs:
Application Guide to Doctoral Programs:
Applicants for the bachelor's degree program in Chinese language major, please visit:
Applicants shall complete online application at http://application.xmu.edu.cn and upload the scan copy of Application Form for Fujian Provincial Government Scholarships (https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn/info/1141/1746.htm). The Scholarships Application Form should be completed in Chinese or English and signed by the applicant. There is no need to mail paper application materials.
1. Applicants are expected to submit a complete set of application materials and will be held responsible for the authenticity of their documents. Incomplete or forged application materials will be rejected.
2. Applicants are expected to keep their phones on, check their email and online application account regularly as XMU's Admissions Office will contact them when necessary.
IX. Selection and Notification
Applications for the scholarships will be evaluated on a competitive basis through an open, fair and impartial process. A comprehensive review will be conducted on applicants' academic record, language proficiency, overall merits, research achievements and their prospective supervisor's comments. The shortlisted candidates will be submitted to the Fujian Provincial Department of Education for final approval.
The final results will be published at https://admissions.xmu.edu.cn.
X. Contact Information
Add.: XMU's Admissions Office, Fujian Province, China (Postcode: 361005)
Tel: 0086 (0)592 2184792/2188375
Fax: 0086 (0)592 2180256
XI. More Information
1. The English version of this Guide is provided for reference and as a general guide ONLY. In case of any discrepancy between the English and Chinese versions, the Chinese version shall prevail. This Guide may not be reproduced without authorization.
2. This application guide may be adjusted by the latest notice from the competent department of scholarship or the requirements of our university. So please refer to the latest version of application guide.